Blu-Ray Officially Wins Format War

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mykbibby, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

2. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

I think this war was over about a month ago, whether or not Toshiba decided to drop production. Once the rest of the major production companies decided to go with blu-ray, it was kinda out of Toshiba's hands. And now with Wal-mart going with blu-ray only and best buy "recommending" blu-ray...

3. ksz macrumors 68000

There were many fanatic arguments on various internet forums between HD DVD and BluRay supporters, all of which seemed laughable then and seem even more laughable now. It became clear that two competing formats are unsustainable -- like a siamese twin with one heart -- and for any one to survive the other must perish. I am glad that the format with higher storage capacity survived despite all manner of counterarguments challenging the shelf life and durability of BluRay media.

I hope BluRay becomes as successful, widespread, and low-cost as DVD.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

give it a coupla years, and blu-ray will be the DVD's of today.. ok maybe 10years.. but u kno

its very impressive, im so glad that BR won, i didnt like HDDVD's one bit.

5. sturob macrumors regular

Sony was due a win. I mean, they're probably still reeling after the Betamax fiasco.

BR and HDDVD are lucky they didn't kill each other, too. Granted, it's a smaller market, but the presence of SACD and DVD-A has made neither thrive.

Stuart

6. pazzo83 macrumors regular

Not to mention MiniDisc...

Now lets look for some BR-ROM (as well as writable) drives for our Macs so we can watch BR movies on them (I guess we'll also need an update to Mac OS X).

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

probably a simple upgrade to the dvd software and all that.. wouldnt be incredibly hard. just a few codecs.

8. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

The End of the War

is only going to IMPEDE the adoption of blu-ray drives in consumer computers. Without the competion, blu-ray owns a monopoly on the market and with monopolies come high prices.

There's people that say direct competion between blu-ray drive manufactors will push prices down, but the technology that goes into every drive is owned by the "blu-ray alliance" and any advances in the manufactoring of the drives or disks is made available to all manufactors or anyone who pays for the licensing rights (toshiba, for instance).

There will be incremental price drops as efficiency of production increases, but nothing compared to if the war was still going.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think there's also the need for HDCP on video cards and monitors.

10. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

I challenge your logic on this one.

You don't have to look very far back for an example either. When DVDs first came out, there was a competitor in Divx (not to be confused with the video codec of today).

Once Divx bit the dust, DVDs or players did not get more expensive. If anything, the DVD offerings only increased.

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

can anyone say.........m a r k e t f o r c e s :eek:

once the format war is over (which it appears to be, just waiting on the "official" announcement) the alot of other factors come into play, ie:

A) Increased production efficiencies, due to only having to make 1 type of discs & players, which will cause costs & therefore retail prices to fall

B) Consolidation of all marketing, advertising and promotional efforts will also lower the costs of getting the goods to the stores & consumers

C) Consumers will quickly start buying the hardware & discs in mass numbers, now that they know that BR is the only way to go.

D) Retailers will rapidly increase their inventories of BR discs & players, since they will be able to devote all the shelf space to BR now. Bigger orders = lower costs = lower prices

looks like a win/win situation for everyone :)

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.