Blu-ray on 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by insane79, May 27, 2014.

1. insane79 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    I want to get an external blu-ray drive for my late 2012 27"iMac, i also want to stream it on airplay to my apple tv, is this possible? i m running 10.9.3 will i have any issues? willt eh video & audio stream to my apple tv through airplay? any loss in clarity for video or sound?

Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm using this ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS, Black with my 2010 27" iMac and it works great for ripping and playing.

I don't AirPlay directly from it because I suspect there will be latency issues from the spinning ROM and network, especially if done over WiFi.

I'd recommend ripping the videos to your computer and playing them through iTunes or VLC and over Ethernet if possible.

3. TheGeneralLee86 macrumors member

You should also try playing it through windows through bootcamp with the blu ray software supplied with it, or using a virtual machine with windows though i am not sure if blu ray will play well using a virtual machine? It is worth a try!:)

4. insane79 thread starter macrumors 6502

which blu-ray player you using on the mac? also is it easy to make it region free for blu-rays on mac?

Thanks..

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm using the one I linked to in the post above, which you quoted.

I don't know about doing region-free settings.

6. DooDuh macrumors member

7. RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

I believe the question relates to software - which apps are you using to watch and rip the Blu-ray discs?

8. insane79 thread starter macrumors 6502

which software player you using is what i meant.

Thanks..

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have the Free Mac Blu-ray Player for Mac. But I never watch BD's on my Mac. I rip them to iTunes and then stream them to my Apple TV.

10. blanka macrumors 68000

I just got the cheapest USB powered on Ebay, for 20 bucks, and it works perfectly.
    For software: MacBluRay player works yet I don't like it's Chinese vague payment system. I decided to use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray's. In a house with kids that's better anyway. Most Blu-Rays in my segment of preference (arthouse, smaller productions, foreign) are often only 10GB, so a 3TB disk stores 300 titles, more than enough for me.

Oh, and use a HDMI cable. Putting Blu-Ray content through an AppleTv is blasphemy. Don't kill the DTS and 23,976p that gives Blu-Ray it's unique and unbeaten quality!

11. insane79 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmn interesting, nice to see that apple tv has DTS support. Hope they update it soon for dolby trueHD..

12. insane79 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes this player is good but is it worth the 40$ they asking for?

Thanks..