Blu-ray on DVD video tutorial

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jla930, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jla930 macrumors member

I think someone posted a link a few months ago to a video tutorial explaining how to put Blu-ray video on a regular DVD-R disc and still be able to watch it in Blu-ray high definition. Of course, there was a limit to the amount of video that would go on the disc; it was like 20 minutes worth, or something like that.

I failed to put that link in my bookmarks, and I can't find it in a search. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

The video tutorial was somewhere around 15 minutes long, give or take, and it was given by a man who seemed to be standing in front of a live crowd in an auditorium of some sort.

Thanks for your help.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

3. jla930 thread starter macrumors member

xStep,

That's it! That's the guy, and that's the video! Thank you so much!

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

So basically, you just need Toast 9 (or newer) with the HD-Plugin. And when you go to burn the Blu-Ray just select your Media as DVD-R instead of BD.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

your not going to fit much onto there though!! what, 30minutes? 1hr?

nice idea but.

6. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i would prefer native support, but this is something i probably will look into. For home video's etc, i don't have the need to have over 30 minutes of video anyways

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

very true and great point, this is perfect for that sort of thing!! for movies not so much, they are just too large (unless you want to split the movie into two and burn them to two dual layer discs).

8. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

at this point our choices are limited :mad:

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

unfortunately, apple isnt really keen on the burning part of it atm..

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Does anyone know the actual max amount of time you can get on a single layer DVD-R (along with encoding bit rate)?

I've heard 30 minutes on a DVD-R and 40 Minutes but without a clear answer and no mention at which bit rate.

Thanks

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well if we go off the standard bitrate of a BR movie, which is 40mbps. and we use a dual layer DVD at 9.4GB, 40mbps is 18GB per hour (5MBps *60secs * 60mins). so roughly 30minutes will fit on a DL dvd.