Blu-Ray on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 77slevin, Mar 6, 2013.

1. 77slevin, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013

77slevin macrumors member

77slevin

Just received my internal 9,5mm UJ267 Blu-ray slot-in Writer/reader that I bought from eBay and finished testing it. Works like a charm.
    I removed the internal super drive from a late '11 MacBook Pro 15", switched over the top covers of the drives, because the super drive has special screw holes that where not present on the BR drive. This however briefly exposes the innards of both drives so you got to be careful. A dust free room also helps :).
    For burning BR discs I use Roxio Toast and for playing movies I use Mac Blu-ray player.

Only downside of the whole thing was, the burner version is expensive. And my country's customs charged another 84 euro for VAT and administrative costs. Thieving bastards.:mad:

Oh and the super drive I removed got a new home in this cheap USB2 enclosure. It's now re-purposed as a DVD drive for my MacBook Air.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

That second link is pretty cool. Never thought about taking my optical drive out and putting it in a casing so I can have two hard drive bays.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Where have you been? Dual hard drives (or SSDs in my case) is the only way to roll. :p :cool:

Only thing that sucks is that if I want to do a clean reinstall, I need to put the SuperDrive back in so I can install Windows. Boot Camp sucks like that on 2011 MBPs. Of course, if you never use Windows, this isn't a problem, and you can use an SSD for OS X and programs while having your stock HDD for documents, media, etc.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I've known that you can do dual hard drives, I just never thought about putting the optical drive into it's own special case so that it's still useable.

5. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Damn that UJ267 is expensive!
    Is it so that if you want to put bd-burner to miniStack MAX, you need to have slot loading drive?
    So that, there's no loading mechanism in the enclosure and you could just remove the sled from non-slot loading drive?

BTW,
    Which bd-player sw is recommended: MacGo's, dvdfab's or UFUSoft's?

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

At least you have great beer:cool:

7. 77slevin, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

77slevin thread starter macrumors member

77slevin

I can't argue with that. Great beer makes everything bearable:)

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

I recently went SSD and put the original 750GB HDD in a caddy in the optical bay.

I then got a caddy for the optical drive and I keep it in my rucksack, just in case (more so not to lose it, but it has come in handy a couple of times).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007NZMP30/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

9. donpepe macrumors newbie