Blu-ray on the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MajorBulk, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MajorBulk macrumors newbie

MajorBulk

Hi guys,

Now firstly I'd like to apologise for what maybe a noob question, that's because I'm total new to the iMac coming from many years on the PC.

I hope to purchase an iMac 27" whenever it is released (I'm from the UK), but my question is can anyone recommend an external bluray player, and is the iMac OSX capable of processing the data?
    I am aware that I have to have the dedicated software, but if anyone can advise me, I'd be very gratefull.

2. smr macrumors 6502a

3. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

smr above is correct. OS X can handle the external drive just fine. There are also excellent LG and Samsung multi-BR-DVD burners available under $100 (not sure of the price differences in the UK so you'll have to check on that) and you get full functionality out of them EXCEPT... OS X does not natively support a BR video playback client. That's it. You can rip the video, and even encode it to your heart's content, but you can't watch BR video straight off the disc in OS X. Yet. Aside from that limitation, the sky's the limit, so have fun!

4. satheeshu macrumors newbie

I bought this LG drive during this black friday sale on Amazon for $90. It worked very well with my 2011 MBA running Mountain Lion. I did put it to test as soon as I got it and ripped the Amazing Spider Man bluray to 36G mkv using MakeMKV. I would recommend this one(the price on amazon appears to have gone up).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X2HD2M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

5. MajorBulk thread starter macrumors newbie

MajorBulk

That's great guys, really appreciate your replies.
    I'll look into those players you have suggested.

I was a little confused about the fact that, OS X didn't support a BR video client,
    but now I understand it a little more, and how to get around it :D

Thanks again.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Just wondering - with HDMI on some Macs, can an ext Bluray player hook up and then use a third party player? The HDMI port and player would have to support HDCP.

7. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

8. BoomerJAG macrumors newbie

Does it make a difference if the external blu ray is USB 2.0 or 3.0? I will not use it to watch movies, but I will use it to rip some of my movies so I can sync them to my iPad. Thanks.

9. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I use Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper for Mac. It's a one step process to convert a Blu-ray movie to run on the iPad 3 or 4 with Retina screen. It even has a preset for it. Takes 2 hours to rip a 2 hour movie but the results are worth it and much better than the digital copy that comes with some Blu-ray movies.

Of course, you can play the resulting 1080p movie on your Mac using QuickTime Player.

10. MajorBulk thread starter macrumors newbie

MajorBulk

I was wondering this too, but having looked around at the various outlets, I can't find a USB 3.0 drive....maybe one of you more knowledgable guys will know better :p

Again, I very much appreciate all your replies :D