Blu-Ray options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Big Q 321, Jun 17, 2008.

1. The Big Q 321 macrumors newbie

I am going away to college in late August and I am planning on buying a Macbook Pro. I would like to buy one while the back to school promotion is still going on and the only thing stopping me from doing it right now is the lack of a blu-ray drive. I have heard rumors that the Macbook Pro will be updated with a blu-ray drive soon, but I've also heard that this might not happen for a while. Anyway, my question is if I were to buy a MBP now, is there some sort of external blu-ray drive that I could buy and hook up to the computer? Thanks.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Just FYI, I believe that bluray drives haven't made it into MBPs yet due to the fact that they are pretty power hungry. There are a few PC manufacturers with Blu-Ray ROMs in their laptops right now but I don't know the power consumption specs at this point. I'd imagine that it won't be long before we see them in Apple's Pro lineup.

3. johngardiner macrumors regular

I know LaCie makes one.. it's pretty expensive though 650+. Honestly though blu-ray won't make a massive difference on a laptop unless you're using a bigger external monitor. In this case the external might be a good option

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I don't think Apple will have Blu-ray in its notebook line until the industry can make them so that you can watch at least 1 movie on battery power.

I believe, right now, that current Blu-ray notebooks you have to use them plugged-in in order to watch a full-length movie on it.

Maybe with an extended battery on a PC notebook right now, but I think that the CPU/GPU's are still a bit power hungry when decoding Blu-ray video....

5. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

This is VERY true. In the current Dell XPS M1530 battery life (extended battery) is about 20-30 minutes while watching a blu-ray movie.

Kind of disappointing considering this is a $500 upgrade.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Not forgetting thickness! Apple cant leave the magic 1" Line!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. The Big Q 321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna look into the external option and see what seems to be best.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid