Blu-Ray playback on iMac now solved

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gallowdu, Sep 20, 2010.

1. gallowdu macrumors newbie

I am watching Blu-Ray DVD on my iMac. Here's how:
    iMac 27", latest Snow Leopard update. Bootcamp 3.1 with Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise version (Home Premium is fine).
    In Windows I have Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Mk II (turn off hardware acceleration and video post processing) and AnyDVD HD http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
    . Updated the ATI Radeon Mobility driver to the latest http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx
    Player is this one http://www.amexdigital.com/Press_Release-E_Portable Blu-ray Super Multi Drive.htm which takes 2 USB sockets.

When I load a BD, AnyDVD runs a light program in the background which kids the PowerDVD that there is no HDCP on the disc, like a home movie. The latest ATI driver makes for an amazing viewing experience.

Granted, this set-up has cost an extra $500 on top of a $1,700 iMac but with the Elgato Eye-TV Hybrid as well I have iTunes music, internet, Cable TV, DVD and Blu-ray DVD all from one awesome screen.

Any questions please let me know. Blu-Ray on iMac - Spread the Word.

2. Maxi86 macrumors regular

Sounds awesome... I'll try it out soon.
    Btw do you get full HD, 1080p?

and why did it cost $500 extra?
    and is it possible to play Blu-rays on OSX 2? or only on Windows 7?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Apple doesn't sell a BluRay drive. This covers the cost of the drive and software.

B

4. Maxi86 macrumors regular

I see... that's the cost of the AMEX Portable Blu-ray player...

I think I will use an HDMI to mini-displayport adapater (Kanex HD, $150) to connect my PlayStation 3 instead... and then I can watch Blu-ray movies as well, but only downside is it's max 720p...

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have a Samsung BD-player connected to my Harman Kardon receiver with 5.1 speaker setup on one end and to my 40" Samsung LCD TV on the other end. The player cost me about €230. I have an AirPort Express (€89) and can stream iTunes music to my receiver and can of course watch cable television on my TV. I also have a MacBook (that cost me around €1150), so that I can couch surf while watching either TV or a Blu-ray movie.

Explain this to me. How is paying $500 for a portable drive, connected to a 27" iMac with stereo speakers worth it to you? Really, I am genuinely curious. (I'm assuming here that you have a TV where you live. If you don't, I can see your point.)

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've been playing Blu-ray discs on my Macs for almost a year, no Windows required. ;)

7. cube macrumors G5

Windows is not a solution.

There's no way to watch Blu Rays properly in OSX.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. gallowdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses

Cave Man - Hackintosh would invalidate my 3 yr Applecare. But I take your point. I'm just not brave enough to take that route.

Cube - W7 is A solution to watch full HD BD until Apple change their minds and support BD.

Bengt77 - No TV screen in this house. Plus I can record to the iMac also, saving another device.

Maxi86 - $500 covers W7, PowerDVD 10, AnyDVD HD and the AMEX drive. I purchased all the s/w. You may have other options. Full HD viewing, yes.

Cheers.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Cave Man's approach is MakeMKV based, not Hackintosh based. The fact he curently runs a Hackintosh is irrelevant.

B

11. cube macrumors G5

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm with Bengt77, and view BluRay on a dedicated standalone Samsung player on my HDTV, but using MakeMKV in live mode (no rip) as described in the linked thread seems proper enough as an alternative to adding $500 of hardware and software to your Mac.

B

13. cube macrumors G5

Proper means menus, BD-J, BD-Live, 3D, and HD audio.

MakeMKV is just a hack.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So, get a PS3 and the Kanex adapter previously mentioned for the $500. ;)

B

15. Maxi86 macrumors regular

that's exactly what I'm planning 2 do...
    I already had a PlayStation 3 so that's fortunate. I've ordered the Kanex HD on Amazon, it's roughly between $100-150...
    I'll get it soon, I'll let you know how it works ;)

16. cube macrumors G5

That is on a Mac solution, that is a monitor solution.