Blu-ray playback test on someone's 17" MBP Core Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbookprofan07, Nov 8, 2007.

1. macbookprofan07 macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2yVh_vSdI
    (credit to macmichel64)

right now it works only with a external drive in windows along with 3rd party software.

likely a internal slot load blu ray drive would also work...
    the only one offered is from fastmac.

*(his specs is a 2.16 Core duo and a Mobility Radeon X1600)

only time will tell for Apple to have it in their Pro systems....

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont see why this is a big deal, while in bootcamp that mac is basically a PC...why is it any surprise that it works?

3. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

seriously...

let me spend an extra grand on a nice mac, then put windows on it to play movies with an external drive that makes my portable computer no better than a half ass desktop...

a half ass desktop running windows so i can watch a movie format that is still overpriced

way to go!

... my MBP is a mobile leopard machine, i have a Core2 Quad desktop for my stupid stuff like that and costs way less

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Yeah, no big shocker. I'm happy to sit on the sidelines and wait until the whole BluRay / HD-DVD kerfluffle settles down anyway. I'd rather see HD-DVD win, but either way it seems too early to call.

5. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

unfortunately for you apple sided with bluray

6. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Well, of course it works under Windows. This isn't exactly news.

7. macbookprofan07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple's price of overpriced ram should be for a BTO Blu-ray

http://store.pcpowerzone.com/pablujslsllo.html

Non slot load Blu-ray drives cost less than $800 but this one cost $1000 (on sale for $852)

at least Apple can have a BTO upgrade to a slot load Blu-Ray burner for $700 (rather than having the 4 Gb RAM upgrade priced at $700, which really should be $250) since its avaliable from Panasonic.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

oh ok, so if hd-dvd wins apple will stick to a dead format? ookkkkk....

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple is on the board (or a member) of both, so they haven't sided with anyone.

Though it usually comes down to whatever their long time vendors tend to support.

10. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

hd will lose the war i thougt evrybody knew that and i can make a huge bet that apple wil choose blueray...(hd is not a dead format it's the losing format...

11. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

evrybody is on the sideline.but when i comes down to it they will choose blueray.dell and alienware have done it.hp to..why wouldent apple do it?

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i would to at least see playback support for both formats in Leopard

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think Pioneer and Matsushita have made the choice for Apple, though I don't think retail price is an issue if Apple starts ordering a million a month (wasn't for some of the older superdrives).

14. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

Pioneer is pro- blueray.
    There you go Blueray it is.Blueray are current crushing resistant in Asia(9:3) japan(9:1).Europe(5:2).USA(60 VS 40 % - THE BIG IF)...sales ratio

15. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

There's hardly a clear winner yet, and lately HD-DVD has been doing better than BluRay. I think it'll be quite some time before we'll be in a position to "call" this one, though.

I'd prefer to see HD-DVD simply because it's the more consumer-friendly format. No region coding, no Sony politics, less horrible DRM, etc...

16. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

look at this tread pls..http://www.youchoose.net/campaign/bluray_vs_hd_dvd

Hd is the current cheaper option but the quality on them are doubtful..
    i think blueray are much bether.But the people in the US dont get it.
    it's higly unlikely to see hd on apple.just so you know.

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Blu-ray is technically superior and sales are also better than HD-dvd's.

18. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

you're so right:):):)

19. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You keep saying this as if there were a way to actually know. It's still far too early to have the sort of confidence you have.

I do think that the consumer isn't in a position to decide who wins, though, and no amount of worthless internet petitioning is ever going to accomplish anything.

It's going to be decided by the studios and content producers and that landscape is impossible to discern right now. Disney's all the way BluRay, Warner Brothers solidly HD-DVD.

There are titles you can only get on HD-DVD (The Matrix, anyone?) and there are titles you can only get on BluRay. Far more importantly, though, is the fact that for most titles you can't get them in either HD format. Finding Nemo? No joy. There's not going to be a clear winner, or a clear draw, until the content sorts itself out.

In that regard, HD-DVD certainly has an edge -- cost of Manufacturing. BluRay yields are bad, in the 20-30% range making the cost per disk ridiculously high. BluRay costs over $5 per disk to press vs $1 to $1.50 for HD-DVD. You can't tell me that the content providers aren't looking at those numbers and factoring them in to the bottom line.

In any event it's still WAY too early to call. HD media is still solidly in the realm of early adopters, and it's never wise to try to extrapolate general consumer trends based on the behavior of early adopters.

20. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

like i said dell and alienware have done it.hp to..why wouldent apple do it?
    I make a bet the blueray win yes i'm confident in that you can't change my mind because i choose side(blueray)
    The current hd disc has far less storage then blueray.The cheaper thing is just a strategy..the transformers vs spiderman bull.
    The fact is microsoft/toshiba are desperate thats why the cheap/bad quality stuff..Ant the current coating on blueray has improved way bether then hd..
    Blueray rules:):)

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Apple is going to support HD-DVD and Blu-ray. They won't choose, it's not smart for their business model. They target creative professionals such as film studios, etc. who want to be able to distrubute on which ever medium they choose. I believe Apple isn't going to offer internal drives until they have a decently affordable Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo drive (which should be fairly soon).

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

but why can't they at least offer playback?

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

because they don't have the drives yet?

24. nyprimus4 macrumors newbie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association#Board_of_Directors

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Thanks for that valuable input :rolleyes:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/17hd.html

Oh, and let me point out that DVD Studio Pro 4 already supports creating HD-DVDs, but not Blu-ray discs.