Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophia.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if you could help me out regards playing Blu-rays on my Mac. I'm trying to get VLC to playback Blu-rays I followed the instructions here and here to no avail.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If you have VLC playing back Blu-rays or if you can make better sense of the instructions could you please explain. :eek:

Thank you very much for your time. :D

(I have DVDFab Media Player but it won't read certain discs for some reason and would like to try VLC as the discs play fine in Windows)

S.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi Sophia. My method is different though there may be other better suggestions from other members. What i do is I use MakeMKV app to convert the Blu-Ray movie as MKV files. And from there on I can watch Blu-Ray movies using VLC. The high quality of the Blu-Ray resolution is retained. You can download the MakeMKV app HERE Other peopel use Handbrake to convert the Blu Ray movie but I have not tried this method.

Another way is to download the Mac Blu Ray player GoMac but this is a paid app I think about $30. You can download a Mac Blu Ray player demo HERE

Last edited:

johnnymicheal91

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if you could help me out regards playing Blu-rays on my Mac. I'm trying to get VLC to playback Blu-rays I followed the instructions here and here to no avail.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If you have VLC playing back Blu-rays or if you can make better sense of the instructions could you please explain. :eek:

Thank you very much for your time. :D

(I have DVDFab Media Player but it won't read certain discs for some reason and would like to try VLC as the discs play fine in Windows)

S.

The AACS and BD+ libraries for VLC is only for some old Blu-ray disc which not work for the new released Blu-ray disc.

MakeMKV is not bad choice. It has no function limitation during its beta time(often 30 days). After that, you have to pay for the Blu-ray features.

Or you may choose the paid Blu-ray playback software.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
As mentioned, there are a few ways to handle blu ray and get VLC to play back the files/iso.

MAC - MakeMKV, DVDFab, a couple of just playback software (really the same company I believe)

Windows - MakeMKV, DVDfab, AnyDVD HD and a few playback software also.

If you just want the "main feature" itself, any of the above will do quite well for you other than just the playback software.

In my case, I only have the main feature video stream plus HD audio stream and stripped out forced sub stream (if any). I don't need other languages and commentaries.

Additional tools that are helpful (sorry Windows only but I use a virtual for this) - EAC3to, TSmuxer, ClownBD, BDinfo (all free).

For Mac an additional tool is videospec. It tells you what is in the file with respect to type of video, frames per sec, audio type and streams etc.

The easiest two for Mac most likely would be MakeMKV and DVDfab. I find MakeMKV to be a really nicely done software. The DVDfab originated on Windows and at times can be with minor hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.