Blu Ray Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moderngamenewb, Jun 21, 2012.

1. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a good blu ray player app? I have a USB external blu ray player so that way I can play my blu rays on my Mac. I know there's Mac Blu Ray Player App but the layout isn't good, and only loads the movies, and you have to be connected to the Internet.

2. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

3. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

I didnt realize VLC played from actual Blu Rays. I thought it was just DVDs and the mkv files. Thanks

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

If you are trying to play your Bluray discs, you can't without that first piece of software you mentioned (and it does have to be networked to get the encryption key). There is no way to play a Bluray disc through VLC.

VLC will play the m2ts files if you rip the disc to your hard drive, but that's the only way.

If you have the time and inclination, you can rip and convert your BDs to M4V files as put them in iTunes.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There's no good/easy solution for Blu-ray disc playback on Macs, due to the lack of licenses to underlying BRD tech in OS X. I endorse the rip/convert method.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I use this and it's handled every disk I've thrown at it. Subtitles and multiple sound tracks work, as do disks with multiple titles (such as TV shows). The only issue I have is that it'll sometimes freeze up for half a second during playback but I'm not sure whether that's an issue with the software or just my computer.