Blu-Ray Rip format for Popcorn Hour?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fireshot91, May 19, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm wondering what a image (non-compressed) of a Blu-Ray is, and how to rip it on a PC. I have a blu-ray drive, and a Popcorn Hour. So pretty much like an .iso is a image of a DVD, what's the image of a Blu-Ray and how do I rip it to that format?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you have to use AnyDVD HD to rip it; then use a program like meGUI to convert encode it in h.264 with a Matroska (mkv) container. BTW both of these are Windows only.

Should work find on your PCH. Encoding will take a very long time however.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It can either extract the files directly or give you an .iso image.

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

The answer to this question depends on what your goal is. I do all of this on Windows XP running on a dedicated PC, so that's my frame of reference. Another assumption is that you have the PCH connected to an AVR that can decode DTS.

1. Just rip and play with the minimum of effort and no regard for disk space:
    As previous poster said, use Slysoft AnyDVD HD (great product, frequently updated) to crack the encryption and allow Windows to mount the BD as a regular file system. I'll then use an enduser-created app called ToNMT to analyze the playlist and determine which m2ts file contains the actual movie.

At this point I'll just copy it up to my server and play it back on one of my PCH units. No remuxing is necessary since the PCH will allow you to select audio stream at time of playback. If your AVR can decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS MasterHD and you have an A-110, then you can play back the default HD audio stream.

2. You have more time than disk space:
    Again, use AnyDVD HD and then ToNMT, except use ToNMT to remux the movie with the single audio track you want.
    Then I use Ripbot264 to do the x264/mkv compression. You'll end up with a file significantly smaller than the original m2ts, but my machine takes about 12-18 hours to do a feature length film.

I mostly just use the 1st method because I don't keep the movies around too long and I have about 11 and a half terabytes of storage on my server.

Hope this helps. Once you have AnyDVD HD it's not that complicated.

John

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Storage isn't a problem, I'd just like to be able to be Blu-Ray quality- No quality reduction at all.

So yeah, just use AnyDVD HD and then put it on my NAS box, and Popcorn Hour will see it?

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Right.

Just copy the main m2ts file. No muss, no fuss.

The only wrinkle is that some movies consist of more than one m2ts. In this case I use ToNMT to remux it and cat it to one m2ts. There's no loss in quality.

John

8. MacStew macrumors member

To eliminate the worry of multiple m2ts for 1 movie, use BDInfo to find out what playlist to rip, and then tsMuxer to rip the playlist with only the soundtrack that you want. This can be done straight from the blu-ray (while AnyDVD is running). The result is a single m2ts that is the movie and has your soundtrack of choice. Noice.

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a

ToNMT does the same thing, but from one UI.

10. roidy macrumors 6502a

MakeMKV is good for Blu-rays, just open the disk with MakeMKV, select the title that is the main movie choose your subtitles and audio tracks and it will output a mkv file of the movie without re-encoding it.