Blu-Ray ripper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dallin, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Dallin macrumors newbie

Ok I am new here, so there may be an answer to this already, but I just want to make it a little more specific to make sure my question is answered. My family just got a Blu-Ray player not that long ago. That being the case, we have started renting/buying movies in Blu-Ray instead of DVD. I would still like to be able to rip them for my iPod. The computer I will be using is an iMac that is 2 or 3 years old and it runs Mac OS X Tiger. Is there a program that can rip Blu-Ray discs to iPod format that does not require a new drive for Blu-Ray discs?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OS X can't play Blu-ray movies and can't write to Blu-ray disks by default. There are no programs for OS X to remove HDCP from movies, so you would have to boot in to Windows on your Mac and use AnyDVD HD to do Blu-ray rips.

Oh, and you KIND OF need a new drive. It's an entirely different laser format. Blue lasers... get an external drive for cheap.

3. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

The simple answer is no.
    You're iMac cannot read Blu-Ray so you will need an external Blu-Ray drive. And I do not know of any programs that can rip Blu-Ray discs for the Mac anyway. When Steve Jobs referred to Blu-Ray as a "bag of hurt" he was right because removing the copy protection and then compressing 25GB is going to be hard to do and take forever.

4. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

OSX has rubbish Blu-ray support right tnow. You'd have to have Windows (assuming it's an intel mac) and a Blu-ray drive to do it I think.

Hopefully there will be Blu-ray support soon and then things may change.

5. Dallin thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, that's what I was guessing. Thanks for the help!

Just as a quick followup, I also have a Windows computer that is about a year old. I'd still need the new drive right?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. Middle paragraph.

7. Dallin thread starter macrumors newbie

8. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

makemkv is a program that will rip a blu ray movie into an mkv file, that can then be converted using handbrake. there is a thread on how to do everything

9. dianepastan macrumors newbie

Blu-ray Ripper

As far as I know, there are two methods to satisfy your needs.

The first one:
    You can take Tallest Skill's suggestion to consideration, which is right. At first, make sure you have an external blu-ray drive, then run Boot Camp to decrypt blu-ray disc movies with AnyDVD.

The second one:
    With the development of technology, there are some Blu-ray Ripper for Mac programs. So you can rip your blu-ray discs directly on Mac.

If the information I give above is some kind of wrong, I will change it tomorrow.

10. dianepastan macrumors newbie

11. dianepastan macrumors newbie

Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac

if so, I am afraid maybe there are a few bluray ripper mac programs can rip bluray discs such as Avater.
    AnyDVD HD? MakeMKV? Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac? DVDFab?
    Which is the best and can really support bluray disc movies with MKB V17 support?

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Avatar has newer copy protection and any program that worked in the past is likely to need an update to get it to work.

13. dianepastan macrumors newbie

Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac

What you said is true.
    I have learnt that AnyDVD HD has upgraded to V6.6.3.4 to support Avater from Slysoft's official forum: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=39720

Maybe soon there will be other programs upgrade to support it.

14. khongaeng macrumors regular

AnyDVD forums say 6.6.4.2 is required to rip Avatar. I'll try ripping my copy tonight and post back.

15. dianepastan macrumors newbie

Blu-ray Ripper

From Pavtube's official website I learnt that Pavtube Bluray Ripper Mac had support Avater for a long time:
    Just got information from the product's reviews here:
    http://www.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac/#reviews

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've never had any luck with Pavtube - it crashes or freezes or just won't open most of the discs that I have. I'm sticking with Make MKV. It ripped Avatar just fine once the keys were decrypted (which was many months ago now).

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awsome to know :) how long will MakeMKV remain free (i.e. in beta) for? :confused: