Blu Ray ripping onto Apple TV, iPhone & iPad

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Semdk, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Semdk macrumors member

I got a whole lot of Blu Ray film (my own of course) which i would like to rip onto my computer, so that i could put it on my Apple tv (50" tv), my iPhone and a iPad (hopefully). I wanted to install ubuntu 9.1 on my ps3 and do the ripping from there, but i haven't really found any guided/HOWTO about ripping from ubuntu.
    Could any one please post an EASY and simple guide for rippng blu rays in High Quality on ubuntu?
    By the way, i got plenty of space, but would be completely satisfied with iTunes' HD movie quality, which dosen't fill more than 3-5GB per movie.

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

check out http://www.makemkv.com/
    I haven't seen or at least noticed any other software atm that does what MakeMKV does.
    Hope it helps.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If I recall, there's a thread out there detailing how to hack your PS3 to rip blu-ray disks but again, IIRC, seemed like a royal pain in the a$$. Why not just pick up an external blu-ray drive (or internal with an enclosure) for use on your computer? The software listed by mmomega works great and supposedly the newest version for mac just released no longer requires that the blu-ray drive have some sort of write functionality. Read only drives are rather inexpensive (i.e. this one at Amazon). I just started using MakeMKV along with Handbrake to rip/encode my blu-rays for use on :apple:TV, iPhone, Mac Mini (via Plex) and so far the results have been great. Cave Man put together a nice How to: in this thread.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I bought an internal blu-ray player/dvd-cd burner for about $139.

I use makemkv. I've had a couple of movies that won't convert right for me. It's probably something I've done wrong. The quality is great and I get filesizes ranging from 2.25 to 3.75 gigs depending on aspect ratio and length.

Movies with fps higher than 23.976 take ages to convert though, and some shows like sports blu-rays and concerts go higher than 4gigs, so I use the 720x480 option for those, and in a couple of cases I've had to settle with 640x480 anamorphic encodes.

But for most films, you'll be fine. I convert two copies, one for HD viewing on my Apple TV and a 720x480 anamorphic version for iPhone and hopefully the iPad.

5. JonSS macrumors newbie

So the Iphone can play 720x480 anamorphic resolution (on the website it mention 640x480 max resolution)?

I have been researching the net to see how to rip a dvd for iphone/itouch while maintaining 720x480. I have ripped all my kids dvds and now want to convert to play on an iTouch/iphone and keep the 720x480 resolution (was waiting for the next gen as I thought the next gen itouches would have a greater resolution screen). How did you do this as I was trying not to have multiple versions of a ripped dvd to play on different mediaplayers?

Thanks

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

All of my Handbrake-encoded DVD rips play on on both ATV and my iPhones. :confused:

7. JonSS macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Have not tried handbrake yet, which settings did you use - Apple Universal template (the width seems to be set at 720, whereas the Iphone template is set at 480)?

8. dynaflash macrumors 68020

thats because the iPhone preset is designed for the iPhones screen. Universal is designed to play on everything including atv which outputs to a tv.