Blu-Ray Rips Not Streaming

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jetmaster114, Oct 5, 2013.

1. jetmaster114 macrumors member

I ripped a bunch of Blu-Ray discs using MAKEMKV and HANDBRAKE and most stream fine from iMac to ATV3. However, 2 of them don't seem to start playing. At the bottom timeline, where the progress of the movie is shown, you see the spinning spokes and a GRAY progress line, but no movie shows up even after 10 minutes...The others start within seconds.

Any idea why this may be.

Thanks.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

When you transcoded them with HB, did you check the "optimize for web" button?

3. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

No I didn't check web optimized. Only large file. And I did the same for all of those that are streaming fine.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

Not all files behave the same. I would recommend you use Subler (free) to optimize the file. That is way quicker (maybe 3-5 minutes or less) than re-transcoding using HB. It's also a great program for manipulating the track and subtitles as well as adding metadata. A tool you might want to have on hand for those special occasions (like this one).

A little background: Optimization moves the moov atom at then end of the file to the beginning. The moov atom contains information needed by the media device to start playing the file. On some files (and don't ask me why it's some and not all...as I don't have an answer for that) moving that information to the front allows the file to start before all of the file has been loaded into RAM. I have optimization set as part of my default HB settings and have not had a problem like yours since doing that. Also, there have been several other posts with the same problem you are experiencing and optimization solve the issue.

Give it a go.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What audio tracks does the non-playing movie contain?
    You can use Subler, old Quick Time 7, Media Inspector or similar to investigate.
    You shall not have a DTS track in the movie.

6. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

mic j:

I tried Subler and it didn't work. I deleted the .m4v file from the iTunes library and then I opened the .m4v file Handbrake created in Subler, checked the video and audio, sent it to the queue and checked optimize and auto-start. The imported the new .m4v into iTunes. Same issue.

7. mic j macrumors 68030

Bummer. Really thought that would be the issue. Priitv8 has some good questions. Good to do an analysis since the quick fix didn't work. Is the original source a download or a disc?

8. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

Original source is blu-day disc, to MKV, to Handbrake .m4v with ATV3 preset. I am trying that again but this time with web optimized checked.

9. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

More information

Connect the Apple TV and the Computer to the Router via LAN, it should work, it will make a noticeable difference even if you connect just one of these via wires.

10. jetmaster114 thread starter macrumors member

I tried redoing the Handbrake generated file this time WITH WEB OPTIMIZATION checked and it still did NOT play on ATV. UGH!

11. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

I'm curious - I use Handbrake ATV3 setting all the time but without the "optimized for web" option checked.

what does that function do?

12. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I had the same issues occasionally on some BD rips using your same tools. Make and HB. I found the problem was the files were REALLY large, >12Gb each (normal BD rips sizes for me for ATV3 are about 3gb each) so it would just take a looong time to stream and start playing. I was streaming through wireless. I checked my PC that was running the iTunes and the wireless adapter settings were a bit slow. Not using N speed and was only getting ~5Mb/s transfer. Cant remember off the top of my head the steps I did to fix this, but you can probably google it if you think the Size/transfer speed might be your issue.

13. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

I'd be curious to know how to check these types of settings. I have a few blu-ray rips that are larger than usual (as you mentioned, 10GB or more) and they often take a bit to stream as well. i did not know there were settings to adjust to help this.

i'm on wireless too but with my verizon fios my wireless speeds are very fast so it always bugs me that some movies still stream so slow

14. mic j macrumors 68030

See post #4.

----------

I have mp4's as large as 22GB and several in the 14-17GB range. They all buffer and start playing within 30-45 seconds and play without a glitch over wifi (n). So I don't think file size is the main factor. Also, once the aTV buffers a certain amount (lets say 1GB for example purposes) it starts playing. So whether 1GB remains to be transferred or 20, it doesn't care. At that point it's up to your network to provide data faster than the buffer uses it.

15. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I believe (but not 100% sure) that the way it works for me is that it buffers a certain percentage of the movie (up to the ATV available free buffer space) to assure that you wont get a lag. My smaller movies started much quicker than the longer ones.

My rips also vary in size. Could be due to the quality of the BD film in the first place, features, etc. My wife and I both notice when we are watching actual BluRay movies that some are extremely sharp/clear whereas others not so much.

Regarding the connection speed, your service might be very fast, but your wireless adapter that sends the data form the PC to the Router (or maybe even the ATV-Router connection) might have a bottleneck. As I mentioned earlier, since I changed the settings on the system running iTunes, I don't have a single ripped movie with longer than a 5-10 second pause before it starts.