Blu-Ray. Samsung SH-B123 not recognised by Windows.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Genghis Khan, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Hi guys,
    I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray combo drive today (SH-B123), and after much relearning about how to take my 2008 Mac Pro apart, I got all of cables in the right place and finally put it back all together.

When I boot into the Mac side, it recognises it as a second DVD-RW (as expected). However, when I boot into the Windows partition (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) it doesn't recognise the second drive at all. When I try to update the samsung firmware, it says there's no drive to use the firmware.

Anyone have ideas?

- Michael

2. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I've been doing some research and fiddling about, and the Blu-Ray drive is recognised in VM Ware as a Blu-Ray drive, but the software that came with the drive (that i installed when in bootcamp) won't start.

Windows under bootcamp still isn't recognising the drive, and I'm starting to think that it might be the ODD Sata port on the motherboard that i've connected the Blu Ray drive to...

Still have no way of actually playing Blu-Ray discs though...

3. MRiOS macrumors regular

You would be correct. By default Windows cannot recognize the extra 2 Sata ports on the Mac Pro board. You can enable their use in windows, it requires some command-line and terminal code, there are instructions here in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760482&highlight=ahci. I had the same problem, but I didn't feel like messing with all the code, so I just got a SATA to IDE converter and just used the existing ide cables for my blu-ray drive.

4. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

thanks for the reply MRiOS :)

those look like they should work...if i can't pick up an IDE-SATA connector after work tomorrow, i'll try the code one.