Blu-ray Screenshots Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, May 5, 2008.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

No idea which forum this belongs in, but I couldn't find anything searching, so:

Is there any way to take screenshots of a Blu-ray movie (short of pointing a camera at the TV)? So far as I know there aren't even any options for playing video on the Mac (lack of HDCP support, I'm going to guess?), but maybe I've missed something.

I wanted some specific screenshots to do a resolution/quality comparison to a DVD for a review (so the camera wouldn't be much of an option), which I believe does qualify as fair use regardless of what the MPAA would argue and Sony would like me to be able to do with the disc I paid $70 for.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What possessed you to pay $70 for an optical disc?!

You could do it on a Windows PC or Mac running Windows with an internal/external Blu-ray drive.

3. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Borderline insanity, mostly--one of my favorite movies FINALLY got remastered, but got an absolutely outrageous pricetag attached to it. Figured I might as well do a bit of a thorough review to get SOMETHING out of it.

I had a feeling Windows might be my only option. Doable, but a bummer. (Say, is there any way to dual-boot a PS3 into Linux or something to do the same? It'd be nice not to have to buy another optical drive.)

4. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

what movie did you get? if its worth $70 i might have to check it out.