Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markel253

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Since the latest iMacs don't come with CD/DVD drives, I purchased a Blu Ray/DVD/CD burner. It works just fine for the purpose of archiving my huge collection of photos - but I was curious ... anyone have a recommendation for a good piece of software to view commercial blu ray movies?

Thanks!

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
Since the latest iMacs don't come with CD/DVD drives, I purchased a Blu Ray/DVD/CD burner. It works just fine for the purpose of archiving my huge collection of photos - but I was curious ... anyone have a recommendation for a good piece of software to view commercial blu ray movies?

Thanks!

Throw BluRay into MacUpdate but most of them seem to be either dodgy software or variations of what Videolan has to offer. Have you tried the latest version of Videolan? how well does it work?

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
There are no fully functional blu ray players for OSX. They will fake the menus and hopefully select the right playlist. Also, they won't display most forced subtitles, like the Na'vi translations in Avatar for example. The only 2 players that are fully functional are Total Media Theater and PowerDVD. Neither of which are on OSX, and I don't believe either will work in a VM since VMs can't support HDCP.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
VLC will show forced subtitles. At least it does with The Wolverine which I just pulled off BluRay the other day with MakeMKV.

But you're correct in that menus and some other features aren't there with most of the OSX options.

As stated, Apple does not support BluRay video, so any BD function you'll find are hacks at best.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Rip with MakeMKV and encode with Handbrake and you'll have 6-12GB full quality movie.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
i have just set up a pioneer bdxl on my 27 inch iMac - the BlueRay Player software works well.

The movies look better on the Mac then on the Flat Screen :>)

However I am a bit confused on burning photos ect to a blue ray. I have tried to download many different demo versions of software and all it will allow is movie copies. What software will copy regular files to a Blue Ray for a HARD back up.

I don't want to spend money on something that won't work for what I am looking to do.

Thanks
Tom

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
i have just set up a pioneer bdxl on my 27 inch iMac - the BlueRay Player software works well.

The movies look better on the Mac then on the Flat Screen :>)

However I am a bit confused on burning photos ect to a blue ray. I have tried to download many different demo versions of software and all it will allow is movie copies. What software will copy regular files to a Blue Ray for a HARD back up.

I don't want to spend money on something that won't work for what I am looking to do.

Thanks
Tom

Roxio's Toast 11 will do everything you need.

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC

I got my son one for Christmas (model BDR-XD05) but included software was for Windows only; was the player you mention in you post included with the BDXL, are you running it under Bootcamp or is it third party?

Thanks,

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.