Blu-Ray: Standalone player vs. PS3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Aug 31, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Before, with both Blu-Ray players and the PS3 being the same price, there was no reason to not get a PS3, even if you didn't play games. But now, some BR players have come down in price, closer to $300. So now, as someone who has a 360 for gaming and isn't impressed with any of the PS3s exclusive games, is there still any compelling reason for me to get a PS3 when the money saved could be spent on a couple movies? Thanks

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Simple reason to go PS3 rather than standalone Blu-ray player. The PS3 can be upgraded online to the latest Blu-ray standards and the standalone can't.

link

3. LeoFio macrumors regular

Back in January when that article was written, that was true. The PS3 used to be the best blu-ray player hands down. It's fast processor loaded up disks in seconds (verses the 45 secs that stand alone players used to take), and the higher performance made advanced features much more responsive. And the PS3 had an ethernet port that made upgrading firmware easy (versus having to download the update on your computer, burning a CD image of it, and inserting it into your stand alone blu-ray player. This is what I have to do with my Sony player I got in December.

Sony's new player changes everything. It loads up disks in 6 seconds, has an ethernet port, and supports Dolby True HD audio. The only downside is it costs $400, so wait for a sale.

link

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you have Windows on your Mac, you can buy AnyDVD HD and a Blu-Ray ROM drive for about $200 total. That'll allow you to play the movies from your computer to your TV, or you can rip the movie to your hard disk and play it back with Plex on the Mac side. Plex does all audio formats (including True HD and DTS-HD) and is a very nice package, especially for free.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, that's the thing....for $400, I might as well get the PS3.

Although my only major gripe with the PS3 is that its remote is Bluetooth and won't work with my Logitech Harmony.

Not a bad idea, except I have a 42" HDTV and surround system I'd rather watch my movies on ;)

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Plex sounds good I might use it when I rip onto the Mac:D.

Edit: Forgot to say get a PS3.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

All you need, then, is to connect your Mac (DVI/HDMI/VGA) to your TV (provided it has an available port) and an optical cable from your Mac to your receiver (provided it has optical in) and you're in business.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd buy the PS3, even with Blu-Ray players at 300, 100 bucks for a PS3, thats a good deal. And then even if one PS3 only game comes out you want, or some friends come over with a game for PS3 that they what you to see, you're set.

Plus you know Sony is gonna support the PS3 with software updates quickly, and for a while.

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The iMac is nowhere near the TV, so that wouldn't work.

True, that is a good point. Decisions, decisions :p

10. LeoFio macrumors regular

Yeah forgot to mention that....that's main reason why I did not get a PS3 at the time for the same price!

11. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The PS3 can be updated wirelessly; other players may require you to burn a file to a CD, or transfer it to a USB flash drive.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

The Blu-Ray 2.0 standard will mean that in the coming years all players will have an ethernet port to allow you to update.

If I was parting with my cash though I would go with a PS3.

13. MicBook macrumors regular

When I bought my PS3 a month or so ago it was $399 at Best Buy a standalone was $389 at Best Buy so for $10 more I got a awesome hi-def gaming system

IMO go with the PS3