Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
High I was wondering if the 15inch macbook pro unibody could play blu ray through an external drive through boot camp?

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
I wrote a detailed guide here of how to do exactly that.

Yes, you can even install an internal Blu-Ray burner in there too. Watch BD movies through Bootcamp.

Unless you have access to unreleased Panasonic (Matsushita) or Sony engineering samples... no you can't. The 15" MBPs use the "superthin" 9.5mm optical drives... and no one has released a 9.5mm slot-loading Blu-ray drive on the market. A 17" MBP could use the standard 12.5mm drives though. There are portable external solutions available from FastMac and AMEXDigital, however, that work with the smaller notebooks.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I wrote a detailed guide here of how to do exactly that.

Unless you have access to unreleased Panasonic (Matsushita) or Sony engineering samples... no you can't. The 15" MBPs use the "superthin" 9.5mm optical drives... and no one has released a 9.5mm slot-loading Blu-ray drive on the market. A 17" MBP could use the standard 12.5mm drives though. There are portable external solutions available from FastMac and AMEXDigital, however, that work with the smaller notebooks.

Not really an issue because i have a blu ray reader/burner in my current sony vaio and this was more of a question because i planning on buying a macbook pro in 3 years.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Gotcha! I thought those external BD drives were the slim 9.5mm ones... Thanks for the correction.

Excellent write-up btw. :cool:

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
A lots going to change in 3 years, Apples computers will be using their new operating system about to come out in 5 months (Snow Leopard), and they will most likely have built in Blu-Ray drives, like they have normal DVD drives now.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
The blu-ray drive is as thick as the unibody MB/MBP so there is no way to have it built in by the time SL is released!

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
The blu-ray drive is as thick as the unibody MB/MBP so there is no way to have it built in by the time SL is released!

NO there not. The one in my laptop is the standard size of any dvd burner/player.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea

Thats not true, i have one built into my MBP, i unscrewed the bottom, removed the existing Superdrive, and put a slim blu-ray burner drive in there, and installed all the necessary toast software.

Of course i cant watch movies using it on OS X, but i can use it to backup my data and coding work (which often comes to thousands of GB's) onto massive Blu-Ray DVD's for safe storage. Its more convenient than a tape drive too.

I can watch movies if i boot into my Windows partition though :)

Finally i didnt say that the Macbooks would have blu-ray drives by the time SL is released, i said SL would have blu-ray support and within 3 years they would have blu-ray drives.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Thats not true, i have one built into my MBP, i unscrewed the bottom, removed the existing Superdrive, and put a slim blu-ray burner drive in there, and installed all the necessary toast software.]

Curious on the detail of the driver (what brand/model & where purchased). Also, will it work with the new 17"

Thanks

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Thats not true, i have one built into my MBP, i unscrewed the bottom, removed the existing Superdrive, and put a slim blu-ray burner drive in there, and installed all the necessary toast software.]

Curious on the detail of the driver (what brand/model & where purchased). Also, will it work with the new 17"

Thanks

This is the drive i have:

image.php

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=338

you dont need drivers hahaha this isnt Windows. Just install Toast and you get all the necessary support. Currently the drives in my old 17" MBP however I dont see why wouldn't fit in the new Unibody one, the superdrives are the same size.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Thats not true, i have one built into my MBP, i unscrewed the bottom, removed the existing Superdrive, and put a slim blu-ray burner drive in there, and installed all the necessary toast software.

Of course i cant watch movies using it on OS X, but i can use it to backup my data and coding work (which often comes to thousands of GB's) onto massive Blu-Ray DVD's for safe storage. Its more convenient than a tape drive too.

I can watch movies if i boot into my Windows partition though :)

Finally i didnt say that the Macbooks would have blu-ray drives by the time SL is released, i said SL would have blu-ray support and within 3 years they would have blu-ray drives.

I have blu ray video files on my MBP HDD, which I can play via Plex. Basically I naviage plex to the file within the iso and it plays the blu rayjust fine. If I were to install a blu ray drive into the MBP could I navigate plex to the video file within the blu ray? I figure it it works on iso files why not the actual thing?

Vancouvercanuck

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
A lots going to change in 3 years, Apples computers will be using their new operating system about to come out in 5 months (Snow Leopard), and they will most likely have built in Blu-Ray drives, like they have normal DVD drives now.

Sorry, but it is highly doubtful for any Apple computer to (natively) support Blu-ray playback. At most, it will be for files. Blu-ray would just conflict with the sales of iTunes HD movies.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
This is possible NOW. I have done it. The only thing that Apple doesn't support is movies, and they never will, much less add it to Snow Leopard, which they haven't.

Yep, I watch blu ray movies on my macbook pro all the time...you just have to point to the file within the container. Oh, and you have to rip the movie to the HDD

xilni

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Washington, DC
I have a 17in MBP and switching out my internal for a bluray seems like a possibility if cheaper readers come out. Until then HD rips it is.

speedy523

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
could you use an external blu-ray drive with windows if you ran it through VMware or Parallels?

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Guys, I was referring to the REGULAR blu-ray drive NOT the slim one!!!

It is known that the regular blu-ray drive is think and that is one of the main reasons Sony couldn't make the Vaio TT any thinner that what it is now.

I am curious of those who say that I am WRONG about it being around 1" and then they mention the world SLIM!

I even remember reading that his is one of the reasons that Apple didn't get any blu-ray drives on their machines yet in addition to the many other "bag-of-hurt" reasoning that we all have heard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.