Blu-Ray - When is Apple going to Really provide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdntcallr, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

I am kinda getting sick and tired of seeing all the Blu-Ray computer products being offered by companies like Dell, Sony and more, and Apple just sits on the sidelines.

It is time, Well overdue to integrate Blu-Ray reading drives, at least as an option as BD-Rom or Burners.

We can make HD movies, but we can't burn them to disc?

We can buy Blu-Ray movies but we can't watch them on our macbook's, MBP, iMac's or even on the mac pro's.

Apple really needs to offer this and to finally upgrade their monitors, which have been sitting on the same design for 3 years. They really need to start using HDMI cables with HDCP compliant video cards and such.

The Time is past, Apple ought to get with the program and finally start supporting HD properly!!!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Search. Apple will give us Blu-ray when you can get three hours of battery life with it in a notebook.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This subject has been discussed multiple times to death already, please refer to the multitude of existing threads. :cool:

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Additionally, if you look at Apple's overall business strategy with the iTunes store, and if you look at overall demand for BR, there is just no good reason for them to offer it.

Most people really just don't care about BR.

Steve has basically decided Optical formats are passe anyway (the MB Air? Also selling far better then most here predicted, I would point out).

I'm in the camp of now doing all my backups to hard drives, and not purchasing anymore physical media. So I'm in the BR is irrelevant camp, and I have no desire to pay extra for it on my next Mac.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Apple could have put Blu-ray into the Mac Pro as a BTO, but they didn't. This suggests that battery life isn't the reason for the lack of Blu-ray.

Put me in that camp too. Optical media's more inconvenient than flash drives anyway. In fact I don't even want an optical drive on my next Mac (except to play DVDs).

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

My guess is the appropriately tested codecs and video player, cost of the drives themselves and demand. Not in that order or anything.

7. erummel macrumors member

erummel

Perhaps they should offer it soon for the Mac Pro, but a bit longer for notebooks, iMac etc. BR hasn't taken hold yet, and it will take a few more years for it to replace the existing DVD format.

8. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

They had better have an option for it in the next Mac Pro otherwise they are seriously behind the times. I can wait for it in a laptop for another year or so but the sooner the better. Apple was first with a DVD burner in both a desktop and a laptop. I remember very well because I bought them immediately and it was awesome that they had tech that wasn't available anywhere else. It would be nice if Apple would return to being that cutting edge again instead of lagging behind in some areas.

9. rajalot macrumors member

rajalot

When Snow Leopard hits the streets. That's my bet. Why? Central station + Quicktime X.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.