Blu Ray with Retina Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scottyfrombi, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

With the addition of an hdmi slot, it seems to me that a portable bluRay player should work on the rMacBook. Has anyone tried it? I would be interested in the result.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

HDMI is for output. Whether any hacks develop that allow it to be used the other way round I don't know.

3. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

No, that wouldn't work. It's an HDMI out, not in. You could only hook it up to an HDTV or HDMI-equipped monitor and view your MacBook desktop on that.

However, you could always torrent a 1080p BluRay rip of a movie, but of course that would be illegal :rolleyes:

4. FandangoUK macrumors newbie

There are plenty of blue ray USB drives for the input and can then output through HDMI. They all seem to be USB 2 at the moment though and not sure if that will be sufficient for the blue ray.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, but you could connect a USB Blu-ray drive and play the discs.

6. Exponent macrumors regular

_Can_ you play a blu-ray in a non-convoluted way?

Unless you're running Windows, I don't think there's a _straightforward_ way of playing a Blu-Ray on a USB drive. I'm pretty sure it involves some form of ripping, which is computationally expensive

If that isn't the case, please let me know, as I have a large collection of Blu-Ray disks, a USB Blu-Ray drive and a 2007 Santa Rosa MBP. (And as soon as my order comes in, a RMBP....)

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, you don't get the menus (a good thing, IMO) so you have to open the correct file. You can do it with VLC or with MakeMKV's streaming server. But you're right, not as simple as we'd all like. I just rip 'em and Plex 'em.