Blu-ray workflow (DVDSP + Toast)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tcgjeukens, Sep 18, 2008.

1. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

For some time I've been shooting and editing in HDV.
    So far my FCP end-result remains a hefty file on my harddrive ... waiting till Apple comes with a native BD solution.

Now I can buy a BD writer with Toast 9 ... but ... is there a workflow that works?

Question: Is there a confirmed workflow that uses FCP, DVDSP and Toast?

My thoughts:
    > shoot HDV
    > edit HDV in FCP
    > use Compressor to bring result to DVDSP
    > make a HD project in DVDSP
    > "burn" project as disk image
    > use Toast 9 to do the actual burning to BD.

Regards,

p.s. I found a workflow with CS Encore (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/blu-ray_fcp_fields.html) but I do not want to use/ pay CS for editing.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

nope, you can't author Blu-Rays in DVDSP. You would just drop a self contained QT Movie from FCP into Toast and let that compress it for you. It would probably have to have one of the Toast template menus as well.

You can use Encore CS3 to author a Blu-Ray disc without using Premiere to edit. You can still use FCP.

3. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

There is no comprehensive blu-ray authoring solution for the mac.

I just wasted two days figuring out how to burn a single blue ray disk.

1. Do not even try using Encore for mac, IT DOES NOT WORK! Adobe knows this and has no plans to fix it until CS4.

2. Do not use compressor for your blu-ray compression, the quality is *****. Toast 9's compression is much better.

3. Use toast 9, but make sure to use mp4 encoding, their mpg2 is glitchy as hell. Also, since you are editing hdv, make sure to export it out of FCP using quicktime conversion, uncompressed, and export as full raster 1920x1080, not 1440x1080. Toast will not recognize 1440x1080 as 16:9 and will compress your video to 4:3.

Hope this helps, I wouldn't want anyone to go through the same nightmare I did. (plus about $200 worth of blu-ray disks.)

4. tcgjeukens thread starter macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

Faustfire and Bigbossbmb,

Thanks. I will try the Toast 9 option.

Any "five cents" as to when Final Cut Studio will have blu-ray authoring?

Regards

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Nobody knows yet. Hell, there's still a lot of people out there waiting for Apple to embrace HDCP so they can simply watch commercial Blu-ray movies on their Macs. But Steve Jobs is very anti-DRM, so...

6. James O'Brien macrumors newbie

Why won't encore produce HDV Blue Ray?

I have been trying to figure out the best workflow for Adobe CS3 Pro and Encore for encoding HDV 1080i 60i to Blue Ray MPEG-2 or H2.645. I have tried several tests and all the tests so far have unwanted artifacts and not scrubbing in Encore in true HDV quality. So is this just CS3 or is there a way to produce professional HDV Blue Ray DVDs? If there is a way can you please tell me which way is the best workflow and with or without CineForm?

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Toast 9 HD from FCE4- Slow!

I just did a Toast 9 (with hd plugin) HD disc on standard DVD-. From Final Cut, I exported a self contained QuickTime file, then dropped it into Toast. Hopefully, this will play correctly in a Blu-Ray player (which I don't have yet).

The Toast encoding took 20 hours, and this is just a 17 minute movie! I have a dual 1.8 G5 tower. Is my computer too slow, or is the Toast conversion at fault?