Blu-Ray Works on Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guzhogi, Jan 20, 2010.

1. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

A coworker of mine just discovered a really interesting fact: if you put a Blu-Ray disc into a Mac, you can watch it if you use VLC (www.videolan.org). I haven't personally tried it myself, but if this is true, that would be awesome!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's not true. VLC can't crack the Blu Ray encryption

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. rekhyt macrumors 65816

(Fake disk? Some fake disk covers "say" that they are blu-ray disks, but they are actually DVD disks in reality.)

5. kolax macrumors G3

All Macs have DVD drives. Not a single Mac has a Blu-Ray drive so it is impossible.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can put a Blu Ray drive in a Mac. I have one in my Mac Pro and can play Blu Rays in Windows 7 under Boot Camp.

7. kolax macrumors G3

You can put a toaster in your Mac Pro and claim that if you put bread in the slot load, it'll toast it.

What's your point?

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Point is that it is not impossible if you have a BR drive in your Mac. ;)

9. kolax macrumors G3

Yes, but kind of irrelevant to the point the OP was making.. he was implying that you just stick a Blu-Ray disc into your Mac and it'll work if you use VLC Player.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No he's not, the requirement for having a Blu Ray drive is implied. I don't know what sort of idiot thinks they can play Blu Ray discs in a regular DVD drive. Prefixing his post with "If you have a Blu Ray drive" would just be stating the obvious.

11. enberg macrumors regular

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Blu-ray has DHCP which needs to be added to all the software and hardware that plays and views the movie. no OS X software currently has DHCP. you can watch a Blu-ray movie in Windows.

you can however 'rip' a Blu-ray disc and watch that in OS X and also read/write to Blu-ray data discs in OS X by adding a Blu-ray drive.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not obvious or implied, given the thread title:
    The OP said that if you put a Blu-Ray disc into a Mac, you can watch it with VLC, as if the only barrier was the software. While it may be obvious to many of us that a Blu-Ray drive is required, there are a vast number of Mac users who would think that just using a different software app would enable viewing Blu-Ray discs on any Mac.

14. guzhogi thread starter macrumors 68030

guzhogi

What I meant was, my coworker & I work in a school district. One of the kids made this one project & put it on a BluRay disc. Brought it to school, put it in a Mac (w/ just a DVD drive) and was able to play it using VLC.

Sorry if I confused anyone. Basically (as I understand), a personally created BluRay disc can be played in a DVD player on a Mac. Since it's not a commercial BluRay disc, I guess there are a few loopholes. As I said originally, I never tried it so I don't know.

15. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

The only possible way that could work is if the (short) Blu-ray files were written to a blank DVD±R, creating a "Franken-Blu-ray/DVD Monster" in the same way that ten years ago that people used to put (short) DVD-Video files on a CD-R. Only playable on a computer with the right software, and certainly NOT on a set-top Blu-ray player.

Maybe this "personally created Blu-ray disc" just contains an HD Quicktime Movie file? (as data)?

16. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Blu-ray doesn't have DHCP, that is an encryption protocol used for displays with HDMI and DVI.

Blu-ray's content protection is through AACS and BD+.

Assuming you can bypass AACS and/or BD+ as applicable.

17. guzhogi thread starter macrumors 68030

guzhogi

As I said, I'm only hearing this from my coworker so I don't know all the details, much less first hand experience.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

This thread is MacRumors at it's finest, especially the quoted post. "Um, yeah, so I heard.... ":D

19. guzhogi thread starter macrumors 68030

guzhogi

No reason to be a jack***. I just thought that this was interesting & wanted to share.

20. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Tap the breaks there sport, I'm not trying to jack with you, but on the contrary defend you. This site is called MacRumors for a reason. People are constantly posting things that are second hand information. If you would like to reread the thread many posters have jumped you for posting "incorrect" information. My point is that they should remember that this is a rumor site and relax instead of slamming you for sharing your thoughts on something. While it's nice to have information backed up with verifiable facts, part of what makes this place so interesting is that it's not required.

No need to apologize, unless you feel you should. ;)

21. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I think you solved it for us. Since the Blu-Ray disc is homemade, there are no obstacles to playback.

Edit: I missed the part about the Mac just having a DVD drive. In that case, the disc must not have been a Blu-Ray disc.

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the "blu-ray" disk was really recorded on blu-ray media on a blu-ray writer, how could a DVD drive read the disk at all? they use different lasers. From wikipedia:
    "Blu-ray Disc uses a "blue" (technically violet) laser, operating at a wavelength of 405 nm, to read and write data. The diodes are InGaN (Indium Gallium Nitride) lasers that produce 405 nm photons directly, that is, without frequency doubling or other nonlinear optical mechanisms. Conventional DVDs and CDs use red and near-infrared lasers, at 650 nm and 780 nm, respectively."

So if it was truly recorded on blu-ray media on a blu-ray writer, no DVD drive is going to recognize it.

23. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Ok, so we can clear a few things up here:

1) Any kid who actually puts a project on a BluRay Disc and expects a SCHOOL to have computer equipment to readily read it is living a couple years in the future or something. That stuff is still pretty pricey and largely unnecessary unless it is for a well-funded digital video or arts class or something...

2) If it was in fact a STOCK mac, with just a DVD drive, then that means it was NOT a BluRay disc, as they CANNOT be read by normal DVD drives.

3) Home-made BluRay Discs may have the ability to be played on more devices, since they likely lack most if not all of the copy protection BS that commercial disks employ. This in no way means that they can be read by a physically different medium. The example that I give to the less technologically-savvy: can you play/read a DVD in an old CD player? Of course not. Same thing with BluRay. You cannot play/read data from a BD in a DVD drive.

Now, can we all agree with this and move on? The fact that this is second-hand info to the OP, and neither he nor his colleague seem to be techno-gurus (no offense or anything) means to me this story has a hole or two in it...

24. cmaier macrumors G3

blu ray drive + makemkv + server mode + connect to vlc = play

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

uh really? Kilamite, you don't see the point?