Blu-Ray Writer and Internal Drive Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lbeck, Oct 31, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

Looking to buy a 2TB internal drive as well as a blu-ray reader/writer for my new mac pro. Im going to be replacing my factory installed optical drive with the blu ray drive. The two I like are linked below.

1. Does anyone have a bad experience with these?

2. Are there better drives out there for that cost? I saw the WD Green Caviar 2TB drive for only $99, how does that compare to the black caviar?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MD05SA/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1KG6QISTB45M0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037FSYQC/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2EUTVCJXLAJ4K

2. neckarb macrumors regular

I've got a LiteOn Blu ray drive in mine, which I believe was maybe $5 cheaper, it works great, no problems, as for the hard drives, not really my area of expertise.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

The black series has a rpm speed of 7200 vs 5400 for the green, in the real world what I get for transfers on my green drives I have are at the low end 60mb/s highest I have seen low to mid 90's.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Will your computer sleep normally without a disc in the blu ray drive? Others have reported the LG blu ray drive waking up a MP as it checks for media. Interested to see if the LiteOn performs any better in that regard.

5. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

No I wont have anything in it unless I'm using it. Do you have any links to other users having this issue?

Are the Green WD's louder than the Black drives?

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Mine are pretty much silent like the WD 640gb I have as well, it is of the 7200rpm variety so if that is any indication the blacks are most likely the same don't own one so can't say for sure though..

7. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I have some 2TB WD Caviar Blacks and I can't recommend them enough. The performance is excellent (far, far better than the Green series). As for noise, under normal and even heavy usage, my OS and data drives are quite silent (and I'm often streaming from a 270GB instrument library), but I have to admit that the Black that I have as my Time Machine drive is audible and a little annoying when TM is crunching away. Overall, though, I'd say pay the extra and get a Black.

8. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Awesome, thanks. Anyone else have comment son the LG writer? What does the (Bulk) mean on Amazon page? Its a lot cheaper than most places and assuming its cause it says (Bulk). Anyone?

9. neckarb macrumors regular

Wow thats bizzare, never heard that but in all honesty i Have no idea as I've turned off all sleeping

10. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

I'm curious about the sleeping issue as well. Can anyone that has the LG confirm it?

11. rtrt, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. dissolve macrumors 6502a

This thread has most of the discussion about sleep issues that I've read on here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1006672

I'm not sure it has been isolated to a certain brand or not, but I've never read about Asus so that's why I asked :)

13. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Bulk in this instance means a bare drive, no cables, software etc..

Most manufacturers don't let you flash the firmware yourself on a hard drive too many things can go wrong, the only time I have really ever seen it happen was with the 7200.11 series fiasco by Seagate there they didn't want to RMA millions of units so let us do it. For the spin down you are correct uncheck the option and all drives stay awake now if we were running GNU/Linux it would simply be a matter of using hdparm and setting the spin down to off on the drives you wanted not to do it, not sure if that is available in the MacPorts repository/if it works the same under OSX using it so may be worth checking, personally I leave them all spinning.

14. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Do I need any of the cables for the new mac pro 6-core? I ink the MP has all I need, I should be able to just plug he drive in the bay without any cables, right?

15. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I have the LG Blu-ray 10x "Mac Pro kit" model from OWC, and though I don't sleep my computer, I ran a sleep test, and it slept just fine. I didn't leave it sleeping all day or anything, but the drive is silent and burns BD-R discs perfectly.

The first day, when I installed the LG, it was making a sort of "access" type noise every few minutes, but then it automagically stopped doing that later that same day. It's like it was settling into it's new home, like a cat pawing up a pillow or something. Heh. I can't explain why, but it has never done it since that first few hours.

16. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Exactly no cables needed in a MP they have both of them there for the optical drives page 70 of the manual shows you that, warning a 10mb download if you are on slow connection.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_Pro_Mid2010_UG_5686.pdf

17. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

18. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Your welcome and good luck with the upgrades.

19. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The model OWC sells has a different identifier number than the OEM one on Newegg and other sites. Not sure what they did differently, if anything. Thanks for posting your experience, glad it works well for you. It's not much more expensive than the OEM model so it's definitely the safe bet for MP users.