Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnHawkins, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JohnHawkins macrumors member

can we get it already? netflix went blu-ray meaning THEY WIN which it is what I wanted from the start

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

So, you want to pay $500 more for your laptop?

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I think it'll be a little bit longer before they include blu drives.

4. JohnHawkins thread starter macrumors member

sad sad sad story, I am thinking sooner then later

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Are you saying that netflix went exclusively Blu-Ray? I just tried looking up some information and couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Also keep in mind that if Jobs incorporates Blu Ray into the Mac line it will most likely just be for the increased storage capacity (25/50 GB) the technology brings. He has already commented that Blu Ray (and HD-DVD for that matter) has lost when it comes to HD content delivery.

8. JohnHawkins thread starter macrumors member

9. JohnHawkins thread starter macrumors member

I completely agree but feel that people are not ready to give up hard disk media quite yet

10. Crow47 macrumors member

It probably will happen eventually. Assuming Blu Ray doesn't just die out suddenly and actually becomes successful, Apple will have no choice but to implement it.

11. JohnHawkins thread starter macrumors member

death is unlikely for the next 4 years

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The point of course is that we don't have software capable of playing back blu-ray yet, so getting one already is really quite moot. :eek:

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And I agree with that, however Jobs is simply doing what he does best, which is acting as a visionary. We've seen it before with the introduction of the mouse, the removal of floppy drives, adoption of USB before anyone else, a drive-less MacBook Air - all examples of forward thinking. So yes, perhaps the public is not willing to adopt the concept yet, however the fact remains that the future of HD content delivery will be via the Internet/downloads, not via physical media. :cool:

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe for the BD read only drive...

The BD RW drive is $950 right now:

http://www.slidirect.com/web/do/pub...6F9B3CA676C13C058B0D723C?categoryId=26&id=136

:eek:

Though if Sony can sell the PS3 with a read only BD drive, maybe less? But obviously, they don't burn CD's or DVD's...

So, I guess $500 for a BD read, CDRW, DVDRW slimline slot loading drive is about right.

15. JohnHawkins thread starter macrumors member

I agree he does that well and it is a TREND but last time he did it he also said that more content was going online to be stored and floppys were not needed (also implying that physical media was dead) and here STILL today with hard media laying around
    hd content has yet to be successfully (in my mind) given to consumers over the net