Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HenMaster6000, Feb 27, 2008.

1. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

Given that there are only a few slim Blu-Ray drives on the market right now, I realize that it's unlikely that I'll be able to put one in my Penryn MacBook Pro anytime soon. But how about not anytime soon? What's the likelihood of a compatible drive coming out within a year? two? I remember seeing a 17" compatible drive somewhere, but I'm more concerned with the 15".

I also read that Montevina will have some kind of native Blu-Ray/HD DVD decoding built into the board. If a compatible drive were to be released, would it even work?

I'm asking, because I imagine that Blu-Ray will be the only feature I'll lament not having one year from now.

2. Totty macrumors member

Well, FastMac has blu-ray drives for the MBP.
    It might cost a grand, but you can rest assured the possibility is there. :)
    http://fastmac.com/slim_bluray.php

Edit:
    oops, sorry. Didn't notice you mentioned 15". Looks like the drive above is a nogo...do the optical drives of the 15 and 17 inch have different dimensions?

3. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

I hope they release an update, because i am dying to play my (outdated)HD DVD's from my xbox 360 drive. I know that had nothing to do with what you posted...