Blu-Rays On Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylej, Jan 25, 2008.

1. kylej macrumors newbie

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

3. errol macrumors 6502

errol

You can already get one. Toast supports blu-ray, and you grab a blu-ray drive off newegg and it should work fine in your mac (or in an enclosure).

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I think he wants to watch movies not burn HD Data disc. So toast won't work.

If you have a copy of windows Vista lying around install via boot camp and get AnyDVD HD and play that way using Fast Mac Blu-Ray drive or and external one.

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't open the disk with VLC and watch a Blu-Ray movie that way.

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

VLC won't work at the moment.

Not sounding to be rude errol but do you know anything about using Blu-Ray/HD DVD on a Mac just your answers don't seem very knowledgeable about this subject.

7. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Just offering food for thought -- it's a forum isn't it?

8. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I think so too. Good news is... when they release the Blu-Ray drive, they will also probably release 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 (or a general SW update) which will include a new version of DVD Player that will be compatible with the Blu-Ray discs.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

How do you expect Steve Jobs to put a technology that he thinks is pretty much already dead in new Macs?

10. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I'm guessing you are referring to HD DVD. I agree. HD DVD is likely to be forgotten in a year.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

In terms of content, sure, things are moving more towards acquiring HD content via the Internet, however from a storage perspective there would still be some demand for the technology IMO.

But yes, when Jobs removes the optical drive from the new MacBook it definitely speaks loud and clear about his thoughts on where things are going. The same thing happened when he removed the floppy drive from the iMacs 10 years ago. It's only a matter of time before the optical drive will suffer a similar fate I'm sure...

12. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

No if you read the article it is about Blu-Ray and Zune being dead

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No, he is referring to Blu Ray. To paraphrase, many analysts have stated that the only thing the battle between HD-DVD and Blu Ray has accomplished is providing enough time for streaming HD to become a viable option. This is from a content perspective, not a storage perspective.

14. leoz macrumors newbie

Jobs stalling

We should have had Blu-ray support on Macs 2 years ago. Not one entry when you search Blu-ray on the Apple web site. Jobs has no intention of ever supporting Blu-ray or HDD. He wants his substandard and impractical HD movie downloads to get up. Expect him to stall for the next 25 years waiting for the infrastructure to catch up to his business model.

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

2 years ago? Okay, put Blu-ray in two years back and you'd be looking at $1500 for a reader.

Apple will wait until read/writers become viable. Some time before June, it will become a BTO option in the Mac Pros -- probably at the same time that the MBPs get revamped to include a Blu-ray option.

16. leoz macrumors newbie

Given that you can customise a MacPro past Twenty thousand dollars on the Apple site your logic does not compute.

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Even though Blu-Ray discs are now meant solely for HD movie purposes, I don't believe it's a dead medium per se as SJ states.
    It would make sense for Apple to wait until Blu-Ray burners were sold and then jump on the wagon, since most computers will benefit from being able to use discs with a lot of data elbow room.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made a Blu-Ray Space Shuttle that other macs could read and write to, skipping the annoying and more or less useless optical drive altogether.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Movies require a DRM'd OS, Vista is the only one with that ability.

Apple filed a patent for some DRM scheme a few weeks ago, it is most likely for supporting bluray.