blue and white weird experience

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Feb 15, 2018.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

this is really weird but it seems fine now though.

I installed a USB card that I have used in the G4. I thought I would put the wireless USB stick (netgear) in the computer using the interal USB port that the card has so I can keep the exteriors one free to use with anything else I need. It work some froze and I unplug the computer. I then unplug the stick and plug it in the outside one but then the weird thing was the Hard Drive didn't show up and I spent awhile unplugging things and to get it to book in OS Tiger. I had tried the install disc which showed nothing no hard drive and somehow it finally did after more fiddling. So I ran the disk utility using the install disc to repair the disk and it showed it was un-repairable. I had to reinstalling 9 and then Tiger and update it which is now back to normal.

Anybody know why the hard drive suddenly be bad and have time getting it to work again?

Also anybody have weird issues or experience with their macs?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just a few questions:

1. Do you have a Rev. A or Rev. B B&W?

2. What is the chipset on your USB card?

3. What type of HDD are you using? More specifically, are you still using the OEM Quantum Fireball?

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

1) I think A if its under the Apple Computer Copyright 1998 on the mother board

2) Belkin USB with NEC numbers on the chip D7201016J and 0928PPA10

3) Western Digital WD400BB-75FJA! (according to the system profiler)

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Here are two other clues on the rev.A vs. Rev. B issue:

1. Rev. As have an HDD cable that will only connect to one HDD, and only have a carrier for a single drive. Rev. Bs have a double-stack carrier and two connectors.

2. MOST Rev. Bs with their original video card will have a secondary card "piggybacked" onto the main card. MOST Rev. As don't have this.

There are also some differences in the heatsink.

I ask because the Rev. A has a reputation for being a bit buggy and particular. I once installed a DVD-ROM in one of mine(it's essentially a "virgin" computer that was bought new and given to me by the original owner-I removed it and the matching CRT from where they'd sat for 15 years prior). The DVD-ROM completely killed the computer and left me scratching my head until I'd disconnected it. The same drive worked fine in a Rev. B B&W, and I found a different one(I think maybe at least a combo drive) that worked perfectly in the Rev. A.

Second, can you pull at least a size if not a manufacture date from the drive? It should be written on the top. Most B&Ws I've seen came with Quantum drives in the ~12gb range, but any other brand in that size range(esp. if it was made around the same time as the computer) is probably original. ATA drives of that age can get iffy.

Everything you've posted makes me think of an iffy HDD combined with the quirks of a Rev. A.

5. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

It is not an original drive. the set up is the Western Digital master and the Maxtor (original) slave

the western digital is 40GB and was made 17 September 2004

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you're running two HDDs on a Rev. A...you may have found your problem.

7. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

It seems to be working fine now though but I might use just one drive. I don't know if the original owner used 2 drives as well since all I know is I got it with the dual hard drive cable.