"blue" backlighting on mbp 13.3 display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colonel Abitbol, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Colonel Abitbol macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I've noticed recently that when displaying any dark backgroud I can see that at
    the bottom of the display the backlighting is kinda blueish.

This is actually very hard to catch on a picture but I've tried anyway

[​IMG]

Anybody has already seen something similar ? Can this be considered as a defect ? It sure is really distracting sometimes.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I think it's just that the screen cannot display black perfectly so the backlight makes it look lighter in comparison to the black surround. I suppose you could consider it a defect, but I doubt Apple would join you in that opinion.

3. Colonel Abitbol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer.

Well considering the price I paid for this macbook I'd certainly consider this as a defect.

Anyone here has noticed a similar problem on their display ?

4. blackbean macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact problem, except mine looks worse! See my thread. What kind of screen do you have (model)?

5. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Minor backlight bleeding. You won't find one on a MB that doesn't have it, in fact, some backlight bleeding is common to just about every LCD monitor out there. :p

6. Colonel Abitbol thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on... I'm supposed to make do with this defect on a 1499$ pro machine whereas any eeepc out there does not have such issue ?

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

All LCds have backlight bleeding to some degree.
    My MPB has bleeding, my Eizo LCD has bleeding, even LCD TVs have some bleeding.

It's just the LCD technology that's flawed.

It varies from display to display and my screens are pretty good and i only notice it when the room is dark and the screen is playing very dark scenes from movies etc.

Have you tried calibrating your screen properly?

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The EEEpc have 150 cdm2 max brightness, vs the macbook have around 300 cdm2, ofc the macbook would have more bleeding.. Try set the brightness down to almost minimum to match the EEEpc.
    Btw, the EEEpc screen is horrible, else i would have bought one ages ago.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

you can get lucky sometimes, my 23" acd has no bleeding at all. I was amazed when I first got it!

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

GIVE IT UP. YOU WON'T GET A REPLACEMENT. EVEN IF YOU DO, YOU WILL FIND DEFECTS IN THAT ONE, AND THE NEXT ONE, AND THE NEXT ONE...

I am SO sick of people who complain about this.:mad:
    This happens on ALL LCD monitors, regardless of the brand. You can pay as much as you want for something, but if you don't like it, that is YOUR problem.