Blue boxes appearing in my iMac display.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danimal917, May 4, 2013.

1. danimal917 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new 27" iMac (i7, Fusion, 680MX). I'm getting these blue boxes appearing on the display. The strange thing is they move around and sometimes disappear completely. Is this a known problem?

Attached Files:

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

This is definitely either a GPU issue or a screen hardware issue.

You'll need to take it to Apple for both of those.

3. danimal917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rats. I was hoping there was an easy fix. I just called support and they were really nice about it. I can drop it off at the Apple store down the street. They said I would either get it repaired or get a totally new one because this one is only a week old. Should I just ask for the new machine?

4. crovian macrumors regular

did you recently install an app?

i had similar experience when i installed an app (forgot the name) that lets me change the login background window. Upon running this app for the first time, it asked to index or perform some kind of set up on my hdd. I decided against it and when I quit it mid indexing, I noticed the boxes like yours.

deleting the app via cleanmymac got rid of the problem and it hasn't appeared since.

5. danimal917 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got the computer so I've installed a lot of apps over the last week. I only noticed the blue boxes a couple of days ago. If some app caused it I couldn't guess which one unfortunately. I guess I could do an OS X reinstall...

6. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

That's image retention.

Take it in to Apple. Or if you're still within your 14 day return period, return it for a new one.

----------

WTF is up with Apple even suggesting a repair on a week old machine with defects?

I'm really getting sick of Apples support team these days.

----------

Don't bother, it won't help. It's a defect in the panel itself.

A good number of machines have had this issue since this iMac versions release, yet they are still using the same panels? What the hell is going on at Apple these days?

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It's only suggested as an option. Though you could return it if really wanted to, some users will take it repaired as they most likely already have everything setup.

8. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't even be suggested really. A brand new machine should be replaced with a brand new machine. That's why there is a 14 day return period. It's the law.

9. danimal917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info everyone. It will be going back tomorrow. I definitely want to get a whole new machine rather than a repair. Can I take it into the apple store since it was a custom online order? I'd rather not pay to ship it.

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

definitely Image Retention. And I agree, I dont understand why this issue is ongoing? I've noticed even basic and some advanced tech support calls to Apple are becoming very bizarre and less than helpful. Not the same quality of service/support they used to have thats for sure.

apple will not charge you to return it, rather send you labels to ship it back on their behalf. and will ship out a new one. you can bring it back to an Apple store but they'll either order a new one sent to you OR swap it out with a different model configuration.