Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
So I got a new rMBP 13 today (I'm planning on replacing my 15" rMBP because I need something more portable for my job now).

When I got home, I noticed a faint blueish "cloud" on the display directly below the camera. I took a picture of it with my iPhone - look at the area to the left of the reflection of the lamp. it's about 1.5 inches wide and perhaps 1/5 inch high.

I know it's faint but it's definitely there.

Anyway - I took the thing back to the retailer where I bought it. They said the don't see anything and wouldn't take it back or exchange it. Do you think Apple will replace the display over this?

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 186

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If you just bought it today, shouldn't there be at least some sort of 14 or 30 day return policy regardless of defect?

Apple themselves will take a return within 14 days if you bought it from them.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
If you just bought it today, shouldn't there be at least some sort of 14 or 30 day return policy regardless of defect?

Apple themselves will take a return within 14 days if you bought it from them.

The closest Apple Store is 90 miles from here, so I had to buy it from a retailer. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a return window in Switzerland - you only get that from Apple (if you buy your stuff there directly) and from a few other companies that voluntarily offer that.

So no, there's no way I can return it.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
That's ridiculous that you can't return it.

However, shouldn't you have a warranty on it? If so, don't you get free phone support for 90 days? Call them up if so.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
That's ridiculous that you can't return it.

However, shouldn't you have a warranty on it? If so, don't you get free phone support for 90 days? Call them up if so.

yes, I have a two-year warranty, that shouldn't be a problem - the question is: can anyone see on the picture what I'm talking about? I'm just scared to walk into the Apple Store and then hear that they can't see anything :-/

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
yes, I have a two-year warranty, that shouldn't be a problem - the question is: can anyone see on the picture what I'm talking about? I'm just scared to walk into the Apple Store and then hear that they can't see anything :-/

I see it. I had the same thing when I first got my iPhone 4 and was replaced under warranty.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Apple is pretty good about stuff like that. I'd say try to exchange it. If they say no, ask for someone else.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Thanks guys! I'll give apple a call tomorrow morning and arrange for an appointment at the Genius Bar

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
So here's how it went down:

Took the rMBP to the Apple Store (had to make a second appointment an hour later because of a traffic jam I got stuck in). They immediately saw the issue and offered to replace the screen. However, they also told me that someone had already registered that notebook and that the retailer had already sold it once on December 21 last year. This was a bit odd since it was shrink-wrapped when I got it. Anyway - the Swiss warranty law changed on January 1st this year - now we get 2 years on everything, before that it was only 1 year. So The remaining warranty on this (new) device was just 6 months.

They gave me that in writing and I called the retailer from within the Apple Store - they then decided to give me my money back. I then picked up a Haswell MBA on the spot - mainly because I couldn't afford the full retail price for the 13" rMBP with the 256gb SSD that I need.

Now I have a computer that's light and fast (actually it immediately struck me how much more fluid browsing the web etc. is on the MBA compared to the rMBP) but that doesn't have the screen I wanted. I'll just have to work with what I have now - I guess the other one was just too good to be true at 1599$

Peter

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Interesting! Well don't forget about apples refurbs, they have good deals there! But enjoy your MBA!

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
So here's how it went down:

Took the rMBP to the Apple Store (had to make a second appointment an hour later because of a traffic jam I got stuck in). They immediately saw the issue and offered to replace the screen. However, they also told me that someone had already registered that notebook and that the retailer had already sold it once on December 21 last year. This was a bit odd since it was shrink-wrapped when I got it. Anyway - the Swiss warranty law changed on January 1st this year - now we get 2 years on everything, before that it was only 1 year. So The remaining warranty on this (new) device was just 6 months.

They gave me that in writing and I called the retailer from within the Apple Store - they then decided to give me my money back. I then picked up a Haswell MBA on the spot - mainly because I couldn't afford the full retail price for the 13" rMBP with the 256gb SSD that I need.

So, who was that retailer? Ebay?

Just wondering where not to buy laptops in the future, since I'm moving to CH.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Interesting! Well don't forget about apples refurbs, they have good deals there! But enjoy your MBA!

The Genius actually tried to find a refurb with 256gb SSD for me but they didn't have any. Anyway - I'm not sure I'll be able to live with the MBA's screen. I know it sounds crazy but my main computer at home is a 15" rMBP and going back and forth between these two drives me (or my eyes) nuts. It's like the brain loses its ability to substitute the missing information on low-res pixelation. Everything looks blurry and it causes me eye-strain to work on the MBA :-/ Seriously thinking about taking the MBA back and exchanging it for a new 13" rMBP, although it makes me question my own sanity, considering the fact that the rMBP will be refreshed very soon and that it costs drastically more.

----------

So, who was that retailer? Ebay?

Just wondering where not to buy laptops in the future, since I'm moving to CH.

No, Manor (http://www.manor.ch) - they usually offer excellent customer service + they happen to be the only Apple retailer where I live. I don't actually blame the store - the device was shrink-wrapped and I don't think there was any kind of cheating going on. I'm just glad the thing had the screen problem, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed that there was something wrong with the manufacturer's warranty. I would still have been entitled to 24 months of warranty through Manor - but if you let them handle the repair, the turn-around is 3-6 weeks while at the Apple Store I get it back within 3 work days. Plus if I had sold the computer again, the buyer would have been in for a nasty surprise.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Final update on this: returned the MBA and got a 2013 13" rMBP again. This one's completely lag-free. Had to sell my iPad to afford it :-( but couldn't live with the MBA's lackluster screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.