Blue Dragon (is the game too long?)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Sep 2, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

For the most part I'm really enjoying the game, however I've now clocked up 9.5 hours (still on the first disc) and it has unfortuently reached the point that I get to in most Role Playing Games.

I'm starting to wish I was 75% of the way through, rather than merely 25% :eek: Finishing it is going to be daunting.

Repetition of combat, is begining to drive me nuts. I know it's not random combat, but it may as well be. You have to fight in order to unlock some treasure chests. You have to fight in order to be able to get enough stats to beat the end dungeon boss.

I'm just wishing they allowed you to level up quicker and concentrate on the fantastic story - rather than the mundane segments between them.

Leveling up and repetitious battles shouldn't make up 3/4 of a game.

I know this isn't Blue Dragons fault, it's the nature of RPG's. But it doesn't have to be.

I'd rather this be 10-12 hours of fantastic story telling like Beyond Good & Evil, or Farrenheit - than an extra 35 hours of superflous filler....

As much as I really want to see the end of Blue Dragon... I suspect I may end up only making it 1 disc through. :(

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My bro absolutely loves this game. I've only played a teeny little bit myself.

But 9 hours for 25%? For an RPG that's a no-no for me. I don't have that time any more!

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I dont have the attention span let alone time ;):D

4. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The creator of Blue Dragon was one of the lead designers at Square Enix before leaving the company and setting up Mistwalker Studios.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm interested to see what Mistwalker do with ASH. Been interested in that title for a while now.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Hm that's one game I wouldn't mind getting a 360 for. Akira Toriyama did the character designs :D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And Nobuo Uematsu did the music :D it's proper good, found myself on the Blue Dragon site last night and had one of the game tracks playing. Very beautiful stuff.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of Akira Toriyama's character designs.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I really like the game characters. Remind me of my favorite FF (9)

And yes the soundtrack is lovely, the voice acting and sync is well done. Graphically very impressive with loads of distance blur, and anti aliasing in place so there is no jaggies & no tearing. Looks superfly at 1080p

But still doesn't solve the problem of too much generic leveling up and repitious combat that plagues this type of game.

Just wish I could skip the fighting, auto level and enjoy the story at the heart of the game fully.

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

*shrugs* I grew up with it. So it has a nostalgic appeal to me. :)

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've learned better than to make criticisms of people who do like his style, because there are many and I'm obviously in the minority. ;)

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Totally agree here.