Blue hue on iMac 27" mid 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macrk1980, Nov 28, 2014.

1. macrk1980, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

macrk1980 macrumors newbie

Last month I replaced the hd with an ssd.
    The installation went well and worked the last month

Today I booted the iMac and evertything on the left side was blue
    In the corner you can see four leds. probably from the backlight
    I am quite handy so before I'm going to pay Apple a lot of money (no warrenty) I would like to know if anybody of you guys no a solution

Below are some pictures of the problem

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your pictures are taken during boot. If you let it boot and run for 5 to 10 minutes, does that area look more normal (much less noticeable?) Be sure to change the background picture to a simple one - either light or dark grey would show you what you want to see.
    If the backlight is less noticeable, then it probably normal for backlight as it ages - it takes longer for the screen to fully warm up.
    If those areas are very noticeable, even after 30 minutes or so - then the only recourse is to replace the LCD panel. I hope you don't want to do that just for uneven backlighting, unless there is no improvement after a short warmup.

The area underneath that part of the display panel is where the CPU fan, and the CPU + heatsink are located.
    That might be related to overheating. Are you certain that the CPU fan is working?

3. macrk1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Deltamac.
    I made the pictures during boot because it's most visible at that moment (contrast). I let it run for more than an hour. And all the fans are properly working. Although it runs quite hot below.
    Still after an hour of running nothing improves. So its probably a broken LCD.
    Which is a bad thing since replacing my lcd isn't really an option right now
    Thanks for the advice

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I thought of something to try...
    As your picture shows something that _could_ be physical stress, try removing the glass front, then loosen ALL the screws that hold the display in position. Don't remove, just loosen, so all are slightly less than snug. Probably won't change anything, but - -
    Just a thought ...
    If it is only the backlight, you could turn the brightness down. Maybe you can find a setting that is still useful, but with the backlight issue a little less apparent.