Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptempos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
im starting to see an outline of scratches on my blue iphone 12 regular, where the plastic on the usb cable hits the frame once plugged in. Is this to be expected? A little disappointed im getting scratches 3 weeks into the phone. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

xxBlack

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2020
I have the same on my graphite. The "fun" part is, that i 50% charge by cable and 50% by magsafe. So i have my 12 PM since 2 weeks and therefore I charged it 6-7 times per cable and have already scratches. Will now completely switch to MagSafe.

uptempos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
I have the same on my graphite. The "fun" part is, that i 50% charge by cable and 50% by magsafe. So i have my 12 PM since 2 weeks and therefore I charged it 6-7 times per cable and have already scratches. Will now completely switch to MagSafe.
thanks i think im gonna consider magsafe myself

Reactions: xxBlack

macher

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2012
im starting to see an outline of scratches on my blue iphone 12 regular, where the plastic on the usb cable hits the frame once plugged in. Is this to be expected? A little disappointed im getting scratches 3 weeks into the phone. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

To be expected normal wear.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I’m always super careful when it comes to plugging my phone. It’s just in my nature to and I’ve been that way for as long as I can remember. I don’t just blindly plug it in. I make sure I can see the port and plug it in neatly and never had any issues with scratching my charging port, even on my PB 12 Pro Max.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Could you folks with the problem maybe post a few images of it?

lexikon318

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Here’s what I’ve got... I’m assuming this is just an aluminum thing. No biggie.

7fec3257f60e883ec0ada7692bdc27d2.jpg

Reactions: uptempos

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I haven't noticed any wear (yet) on my blue 12. Though I have only plugged it in a handful of times to use CarPlay in my vehicle. I have a wireless charger that the phone goes on each night.

Apple_Robert

macrumors Nehalem
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What you are seeing is normal wear and tear. I use a Qi charger on my iPhone mini, so that if it need to use it for a moment, I can, without having to worry about the plug. It also prevents scratches in the port area like you have seen, as well as from the cord itself, when one misses the port the first try etc.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’m pretty careful with mine and I see tiny scratches where the plastic part of the lightning plug hits the shiny stainless steel (silver 12 Pro). Eventually, I’ll buff them out.

Last edited:

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
I don't use the cable, and if I had any scratches I can just polish them out (silver).

Mate, you will have a lot of micro scratches, and you will be polishing a lot.

I’ve had this experience in the past, and that’s why I opted for a Gold 12 Pro Max, so no scratches and least fingerprints.

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
So would you say the Sliver is the one that scruffs/scratches the easiest? More easily than the Blue or Graphite?

And is the Gold substantially more scratch/scruff resistant than the all other colours?

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
So would you say the Sliver is the one that scruffs/scratches the easiest? More easily than the Blue or Graphite?

And is the Gold substantially more scratch/scruff resistant than the all other colours?

Yes, silver is the natural stainless steel finish, so it picks up micro-scratches very quickly, but they can be polished using a cape cod.

Gold has the best PVD coating on stainless steel, and it will be resistant to micro scratches compared to PB and Graphite.

I liked the silver, but due to the polishing hassle, I returned it and opted for Gold 12 Pro Max, and I am super glad I did that.

Reactions: firoze

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Yes, silver is the natural stainless steel finish, so it picks up micro-scratches very quickly, but they can be polished using a cape cod.

Gold has the best PVD coating on stainless steel, and it will be resistant to micro scratches compared to PB and Graphite.

I liked the silver, but due to the polishing hassle, I returned it and opted for Gold 12 Pro Max, and I am super glad I did that.
Thanks, I will take a look at the Gold.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010

It will still get micro-scratches and you won’t be able to polish them out. At least with the silver you can polish them out before you sell.

Reactions: firoze
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.