Blue PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TiberioG, Nov 12, 2014.

1. TiberioG macrumors member

I'm happy to show you my blue cool Powermac G5

It is very psychedelic switching off the lights of the room and watching inside it, seeing the fan spinning and maybe listening to some Pink Floyd's music.

I have also tried to remove the DVD unit to add a second LED strip but it's not a daily configuration.

Attached Files:

2. TiberioG thread starter macrumors member

second set..

Attached Files:

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I think it would be a good idea to put a speaker inside there. Or do they already have built-in speakers inside?

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

G5's do contain the standard Apple mono internal speaker.

6. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

This is my lighting system

Check out my lighting system :) I installed LED strip lights which can be changed to several different colors with a remote control and receiver! There are also modes such as fade, which fades through the color wheel at a set speed, or flash, which flashes through the colors at a set speed. There is also brightness controls and an on/off button.

Attached Files:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not much of a modification guy but I must say that this is a pretty cool looking rig!

8. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

The total blue look is cool. The red strip spoils it. Wonder hw itll look with a white strip.

9. TiberioG thread starter macrumors member

"Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light. Shine on you crazy diamond!"

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I actually like that. One thing I really liked when I owned a Dell XPS Gen 4 was the fact I could change the colors in the front. Do you have a link to where you bought yours?

Attached Files:

11. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

:) I am not either. In fact, uh... I have to admit something; I didn't wire these LED lights to the board or anything, I am running a 12 volt power adapter out of my PCI expansion slot :eek: It sounds like more of a hack-job than it is, though. It's a very clean set-up, and I mounted the infrared receiver to the back of the G5, thanks to its cheese-grater holes.

12. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

That's actually a pretty cool design element on that Dell.

Since this product I bought has been adopted by China, xD there are many sellers and many variations of the product.

Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-SMD-RGB-...672866?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item4170393a22

These are higher-grade because they are coated with silicon or something to make them water proof. Mine are non-water proof, although they are pretty much the same thing otherwise. You get a receiver, which the 12 volt adapter plugs into, as well as the strip lights themselves; you also get a remote control to change the color and modes. Depending on the auction, the 12 volt power adapter may not be included. (it usually isn't) 12 volt adapters are very common though; I found one in my wire drawer. These strip lights can also be cut with scissors, where marked, to attain desired length.

For these colored lights, the LED strip is pre-wired on both ends so they can plug into the receiver. With LED lights that are only one color, you would need to solder to the two wires to a cut 12 volt adapter. (nothing difficult) The colored ones cannot simply be cut and soldered to an adapter, as they include RGB wires and need a receiver per strip. I needed to order two more remotes and receivers for the leftover strip, so I can put them in two more places somewhere in the house. No big deal though, as each remote+receiver was $3, so I spent a total of $6. My light strips originally were $18. A single color roll can be pretty cheap though. My dad got a long roll of soft white LEDs for like $5.