Blue Ray Burner on Stock MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Alpinism, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Alpinism macrumors regular

Now that the duel is settled between HD-DVD and Blue Ray, I think we can expect Blue Ray burner to be stock option on the MP and maybe on the MBP (with Nehalem/gesture touch pads) this coming summer at Developers conference ?

Otherwise, there isn't any 'trick' to show the developers/pro this summer.

I think that is the reason why Apple called this batch of MP "early 2008". Also, maybe to not steal the Macbook Air's thunder, Apple might just skip 'penryn' and wont introduce 'gesture touch pads' until Nehalem this summer.

2. cwc123188 macrumors regular

I think you meant to say Montevina(Centrino 2?) for the MBP at WWDC.:)
    Nehalem for the MP isn't due for arrival until late 2008 so I don't think that's gonna be the show at WWDC.

As far as blu-ray goes, I think it'll be here sooner rather than later now that the war is over. Apple needs to let people watch hi-def movie on their computers.:D

3. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

itll be a minimum $300 BTO option. Thats my guess, cuz in apples eyes superdrive = $100, but in reality the drives cost $35. Blu ray drives are minimally $300, so they may cut a deal.

4. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

whoops, yeah Montevina(Centrino 2) :) thankis for the correction.

5. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

So that means Apple will charge like $1000 for the BluRay drive option :D

6. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

If you look at Apple's business model, they always introduce "high end option" to their highest priced product first and charges arm and leg for it. Then on the next hardware revolution, Apple will trickle the "option" down to the next lower hardware.

7. jcvmf214 macrumors member

I am in the market for a mac pro with the 30" cinema display. I would like a blue ray player. My ETA for purchasing it is around august. Only alternative is an external drive

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

What are you going to use the Blu-Ray player for? You can use it for storing data, but I'm not aware of any software that will play Blu-Ray movies.

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yes but if Apple supports Blu-ray they will pretty much have to update DVD player (or movie player since it won't just be DVD's anymore) or quicktime or mix the two and come up with a completely new application

Anyone seeing QuickPlayer or BluTime! Ha

10. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Also when/if will we see a blu ray dvd studio pro from apple and for that matter iDVD blu?

11. jcvmf214 macrumors member

Thats a good point. Right now it seems like even though blue ray won the war there really isnt an option yet for watching blue ray movies yet on a the mac that I will be getting.

Until then patients is my friend