Blue-ray Burner options

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by carleton, Dec 26, 2008.

1. carleton macrumors member

As I posted earlier today, I am considering a mac pro as my new HD video editing machine. When you add up the numbers, it looks like the least expensive dual Xeon machine w/ 1600MHz FSB. But being some what new to Mac's (I have been watching Mac's for years and have worked with BSD on and off for years, too), I have questions...

One thing is with the standard PC workstation, they come with two 5 1/4 bays, one will be ready for my to install the internal Blue-ray burning needed to burn those HD disks.

How is that done on a Mac Pro? Can one get a Blue-ray drive to fit in the second SuperDrive slot? If not, what are the options?

Carleton

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd hold out for Nehalem derived systems unless you need it TODAY.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You install drives into the MP like any other desktop computer.

4. carleton thread starter macrumors member

Eidorian,

Well, the shoot is going to be in January and I need to be up and running at that point in time, so if the Nehalem derived systems is out, great, if not, so be it.

alphaod,

I really don't understand your comment. From the looks of the Mac Pro case, it does not have the standard 5 1/4 bay opening on the front for a standard CD/DVD/Blue-ray drive/burner. Am I mistaken?

Carleton

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Mac Pro has two 5.25" bays for optical drives. :confused:

6. carleton thread starter macrumors member

Eidorian,

Ok, they don't look like the standard 5 1/4 drive bays with those doors. Is it designed such that when the drive starts to open, it pushes down the door on the front of the unit?

Carleton

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can see that you've never removed the bezel off of an optical drive.

8. carleton thread starter macrumors member

Eidorian,

You would be correct. Call me crazy, but I don't think the nice folks at the Apple store would appreciate it if I walked in and started removing the bezel off one of the optical drives on their Mac Pro's :D As I said initially: "I am considering a Mac Pro", don't own one yet:cool:

Carleton

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The bezels are removable on optical drives. Get an old CD-ROM and take it off. It'll make sense how those silly case doors work.

Failing that eject the optical drive on a Mac Pro and compare it to one with the bezel.

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I've done it. Fitted an LG GGW-H20L into the bottom slot (actually tried it in the top slot, where the tray refused to clear, for some reason). All you need to do is remove the bezel, as Eidorian said, from the edge of the tray. You'll be left with a much smaller tray front that will go right through the Mac Pro's automatic optical bay doors. If you're installing as I have done, you'll need to route a SATA cable from the motherboard to the optical bay, but mine is one of the more complicated installation paths. Works like a charm, though, no errors at all. Unless you do the custom installation I've just mentioned, there's only a pATA cable rigged up for the optical drive, so you'll either need to buy a pATA -> SATA bridge, or buy a pATA optical drive.

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I don't think they'd mine since none of the drives at the Apple Store have bezels