Blue Ray compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Jan 9, 2008.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Would I be able to by a Blue Ray burner and install it on the mac pro? Are the video editing programs, like Dvd Studio Pro, will be compatible with Blue Ray in a near future?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why not wait and see. No one here can tell you when it will be fully supported in Apple applications, though we can speculate.

But if you wait and see, by the time they are supported I'm sure the price of the drive will have fallen anyway.

Toast 8 support BD burning though.

3. redboard macrumors newbie

Letdown

well thats what i want to know...I admit the specs of the new mac pro are impressive but why is there no drive or support for High definition DVD? You'd think of all computers to come with one the mac pro would be the first! I'm a little let down by this mac pro revision to be honest. I was hoping to burn blue-ray discs and watch high definition dvds on my computer with my cinema display:(

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Yes. Logitec and MCE both make Mac Pro-compatible Blu-Ray burners and there may be more.

Roxio Toast supports Blu-Ray at this time. DVD Studio I believe is HD-DVD only (as is the Apple DVD Player in terms of playback, and that might be limited to HD-DVDs authored with DVD Studio). However, OS X 10.5.2 will hopefully add Blu-Ray support to the software side.

5. evildede macrumors member

There has been a 2x blu-ray burner available since last year and now a 4x version from FastMac here. It ships with a free copy of toast.

Of course, you can only use it to burn data at the moment it seems and I guess authot blu-ray movies with the right software. You cannot playback any movies though as there is currently now software for it on the Mac. Maybe on Windows though.

By the way, anyone knows if the 8800GT is HDCP compatible?

6. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

The specs on NVIDIA and every review of it say yes, Apple on the other hand isn't saying. I'm very curious also since you can easily pick up a 3rd party blu-ray drive but software that allows blu-ray playback will be useless if your video card does not support HDCP. I sure hope Apple didn't drop the ball on this one.

7. HDproducer macrumors member

DVDSP has options for blue laser, but you cant burn direct to disk. I wonder if once you have the build folder on your HD if you could use toast to burn data to the BD??

The HD DVD option is using the H.264 codec at a much higher data rate. 19mbs so you can can get HD footage on a SD disk. You can not burn HD DVDs. I think this set up just kinda works, I don't think anyone planned it this way.

Apple DVD players will not play true HD DVD disks. My intel imac will play the DVDs with HD footage as I described above, but my PB G4 and my G5 will not play them.