Blue-ray on a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NoManIsland, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I am getting a Blue-ray writer for my 2008 Mac Pro, primarily for optical backup, but I would also love to play my movie collection as well. I know from reading online that OSX doesn't support Blue-ray playback, and that a Windows installation under Fusion won't work either. I don't want to set up a Boot Camp partition just to play my movies, so my question is this: is there ANY way, no matter how hacky, to play a Blue-ray on a Mac Pro? I have enough HDD space to extract the video from the disc if necessary, so if there isn't a more elegant solution, I'd love to hear people's recommended software to do just that.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I play all my movies via a Windows 7 running in a Parallels VM. Of course I always have AnyDVD HD running, no I have no idea if that's what is letting me play the movies.

3. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone else had this experience, with Parallels and AnyDVD HD working as a virtualized playback engine? I have Fusion, but if Parallels can do this, I would switch.

4. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

5. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

I use makeMKV to extract an archive and then play that with VLC. Yes you do need lots of disk space.

6. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip :) When I downloaded makeMKV, it warned that it will only function for 60 days - did you find a way of extending that time indefinitely?

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Look in their forums. While it is in beta, they have a perma-license key available.

8. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

Whatever version I got, I do not recall getting that message.

9. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That worked perfectly :)

10. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Ack! I just noticed that the Blue-ray drive I ordered from OWC (the Pioneer BDR-206) connects via SATA, not ATAPI as my System Profiler indicates I have! The drive I ordered comes as a kit, with cables and instructions for installing in a 2006-2008 Mac Pro (I have a 2008), so I didn't anticipate this hurdle. Does anyone know if they are using some sort of SATA to ATAPI bridge? I'm setting up two SSDs in my second optical bay using the ODD SATA ports, so I'm really hoping that they aren't using one of those to connect the drive - has anyone had experience with this kit to know either way?

11. NoManIsland, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I called OWC and unfortunately I've made a mess: the Blue-ray drive kit connects to one of the ODD SATA ports that I was saving for my two SSDs in the OWC Multimount. I asked their tech support if a SATA to ATAPI bridge would work to attach the drive to the optical bay connection rather than the ODD port and he expressed concern that doing so would overload the power capabilities of the Mac Pro when the two SSDs were hooked up as well. I'm not convinced, as I would be replacing the existing optical drive and powering the Blue-ray with its connection, then powering the two SSDs with the lower optical bay connection (through a splitter), which to me is what the OWC Multimount is marketed to do. Does anyone have some guidance to offer about this? Or, if it is a good idea to use a bridge, a recommendation on a good one?

12. rtrt, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Good to hear. Has anyone used this bridge?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...CODE=NEXCA&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCWw0fzTCjCVqHCjCdwwp

It seems to do what I want, but I'd love to hear from someone who has used it, especially as I'm not sure if it would fit behind the drive without hitting against the power supply. I estimate about 2" clearance, but haven't been able to find any dimensions for the bridge.

14. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

So I found a data sheet on the adapter I linked above:

http://us.startech.com/media/products/PATA2SATA3/Manuals/PATA2SATA3.pdf

It says that it has a depth of 50 mm (around 2"), which might be too tight for the optical bay in my 2008 Mac Pro. It receives power through a 4-pin SP4 floppy drive connecter, but they say a LP4 to SP4 adapter cable is included - will that work on a Mac Pro? Would this mean I'd need to use a splitter to power both the drive and the adapter? I don't know if this would be the best option for a bridge, so I'd love to hear someone's success story with this or another device.

15. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

I found a new option for a bridge that is far more economical space-wise:

http://www.cooldrives.com/satoidecofor.html

Anybody have some insight into this one? I'd love to have some feedback as to whether this will do what I need before purchasing. Thanks!

16. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

17. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Thanks for this info. Please do post back! Interested to hear how it works out.