Blue Ray on my Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aussiebuddha, Jan 6, 2008.

1. aussiebuddha macrumors newbie

Hi.

I just bought a Sony bravia 1080p Tv and I'm looking to use my macbook as a media center with an external Pioneer USB Blue Ray drive.

My questions are.

1) Will the macbook core2duo be able to play 1080p content at full speed?
    (I know it supports the 1920x1080 resolution, but not sure about the speed)

2) Will the macbook be able to support HDCP protection?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which Core 2 Duo MacBook?

You might be able to pull it off in Windows but I doubt it.

Does anyone have any information on HDCP over USB?

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

how are you going to output it? macbook pros don't come with hmdi...which seems really stupid for the high resolution 17 inch macbook pros...that are 1080p.

i really am hoping that at macworld...apple announces that the new mbps will have hdmi and blu-ray support...only reason i am waiting. how can they not? other companies include hdmi almost standard now...

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1080p is yes all MacBooks. Might be near the capability limit of some older Core Duo ones, which may result in stuttering if you have low ram and otherwise non-optimal older machine.

HDCP is not currently supported. There are tools on other platforms to bypass the DRM requirement though.

6. Cinner macrumors newbie

Currently it will not playback all 1080p content properly. There is no software yet capable enough to handle the more demanding 1080p encodes (I have the latest 2.4 Ghz MBP). VLC is not up to the task yet. An alternative to be released soon is called CorePlayer, which will likely handle all your 1080p content (MKV's?) perfectly.

Edit: Are you talking about Blu-ray specifically? In that case you need Windows for which there is better software available so it won't be a problem I guess.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Even Mac Mini can do 1080p. Maybe not the more unusual encodings, but it does do it. I can play multi 1080p streams on my MBP (you may need a faster harddrive).

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.p...fps_playback_on_mac_mini_core_duo_plays_fine/

8. kolax macrumors G3

I can play HD fine on my MBP too and it has 5400RPM drive.

Do you think it will play better if I use my 7200RPM USB external hard drive? I've always wondered USB versus my 5400RPM internal hard drive. Which would give best performance?

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

1) yes

2) there's no HDCP support in any apple products IIRC.

VLC does 1080p fine for me on my 2.16 C2D MBP, but only in Tiger, not Leopard.
    It's a software issue through and through. The MacBook is more than powerful enough to handle 1080p video - I've seen it with my own eyes.