Blue Ribbon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by udontno, Aug 20, 2011.

1. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

Hey guys.

I recently received a lot of help here with my new Mac and iPhoto, so I thought I'd update y'all on how me and my camera are getting along. I received the camera as a high school graduation gift and I must say that I've fallen in love. I've already taken about a thousand pictures. At the encouragement of friends, I put one of my photos into the county fair and received a blue ribbon for it. I wanted to share the photo with y'all and it can be viewed on my blog located here. Let me know what you think!

2. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

watermark this photo and you uploaded @ 1600 pix, re-upload it @ 800 pix to protect your IP.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Also, register it at the US Copyright Office. And a 1600px image isn't too big. As long as you have a 4000px version offline, it's pretty easy to prove the original.

I would say otherwise about a watermark as I personally hate them, but your recent experience seems to show that it would have been a good idea.

4. Tiggs macrumors 6502

Congratulations on the blue ribbon! Very nice photo.

5. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

how's that saying........fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Personally, I also used to despise watermarks, now it's like caller ID or getting on the "do not call list", a necessary thing in the digital age.

My point on the 800pix is that size is adequate for web viewing but useless for people to use for photos/screensavers/desktop wallpaper/etc.

For the scammers / thieves out there, our photography forum (and others) and its contests are ripe pickins for them.

They love us, see our work, and take.
    (sorry OP for my rant)

6. udontno thread starter macrumors regular

udontno

You are speaking Greek to me. What is this px stuff? Pixels?
    What happened to you recently? I don't mind your rant... I'm hoping it will educate and inform me about some of this stuff that is over my head!

7. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Read this;
    http://www.longislandlawyerblog.com/two-simple-steps-to-protect-your-photos-from-being-stolen-on-the-internet

Then this:
    http://asmp.org/tutorials/copyright-overview.html

8. udontno thread starter macrumors regular

udontno

Do you really think that I need to register my photos with the copyright office? I'm just a kid with a camera... and a kid without the $$ to shell out everytime I want to register a collection.

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

First off, sorry if I took this topic far from your Blue Ribbon photo story, sorry.
    Congratulations again. :D :D

Yes, it costs $35/submission to the copyright office.
    That's a bulk submission for as many photos as you can submit (CD, online, various ways).
    There is a 90 day window of date capture and date submission for level of protection, so many people submit photos 4 times year just to save $$.
    (more details in the links)

Totally understand your situation - money is money for all of us.
    Of course many people, include me up to now, take and show 100's of pictures w/o having them submitted to the copyright office.
    You are protected by copyright law the minute you press the button and a picture is created.
    Having them registered gives you more legal standing if you decide to pursue someone for using your photos w/o your permission.
    (without getting into all the fine details, which can be read in the links posted)

My final thoughts on this:
    If you'll be a hobbyist and that's that, then forget the copyright office and have fun. (still watermark your photos)
    If your photos continue to get "better" and you find yourself winning contests, then time to re-visit that Q: "should I register my photos?"
    Only you, and possibly with advice from people you trust, can make that decision.

Above all else; keep taking pictures, having fun, and exploring your creativity.
    It's a fun hobby, I joined a local camera club for face-face interaction.
    We have 40-50 members, and 20-ish come to the monthly meetings, people of all ages and skill level, common thing is photography.