Blue screen after 10.5.7 install..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by duelingdragons, May 12, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

If I move my fingers around the touchpad I get a scrolling ticker and a flicker of the screen with jumbled characters, but then it just goes back to a plain blue screen.

Great.

2. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

have you tried a hard reset? i heard other people were having similar problems

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Just tried, same deal. =(
    Wow, great.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Try again - one person on the thread took a couple of hard resets then it worked.

5. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

you might try booting off your OS X disk and going into disk utility and repairing the permissions, not really sure if that would help, sounds a little more serious than that

6. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Three hard resets later, and it looks like I'm good to go.

wtf?

Thanks for the help guys.
    Bizarre....

7. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

My dual 2.0GHz G5 kept looping through the spinner at shutdown immediately after the combo update. I did a hard reboot, it did a soft reboot itself, updated boot caches and rebooted itself another time. Seems okay now.

Is this a PPC problem or are Intel folks having it also? Combo updater or Delta?

8. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

This update has been a bit of a disaster here too..

1, Awfully slow download, unusual for Apple. Instead, I give up and downloaded the combo update in a fraction of the time. Even though its nearly twice the size of the standard update :confused:

2, iMac seems to install it ok. G4 powerbook gives some largely meaningless error. But I get it to go with the manually downloaded combo update after a while.

3, Restart both Macs. They BOTH got stuck on the bluescreen, similar to how you desribe. I left them for a good 15 minutes each, and ended up having to force shut them down (Always makes me nervous if you have to do that immediately after an update). Eventually the iMac starts up (slowly) and it seems ok now. However, the G4 powerbook still is not booting :mad:

4, Back to my iMac, I go to install the latest Safari beta thats also out today. And now thats giving an error too! :rolleyes: Oh well, at least the original Safari beta still seems to work with 10.5.7

Honestly, it took Apple this long to come up with 10.5.7, and it looks like a disaster from where im sitting.

Now to un-bork my G4 powerbook....

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

are these problems using software update or combo update?

10. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

For me, software update was too slow. So I got the combo update (much much faster to download for some reason). Applied the same update to both my Macs. Yet had numerous problems pretty much every step of the way..

Having said that.. Both my macs are up and running just fine now. It just wasn't anywhere near a smooth update process. Not by a long way :confused:

11. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

whats a hard reset? i havent updated yet but im worried

12. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I used the combo update and it happened on both my Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. Had to hard reset both of them at least twice. Both seem fine now.

13. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If you have any issues booting after the update, leave it a good few minutes first, as it may well boot itself eventually. But for me there was obviously something wrong, so had to hard reboot. To do this, just hold down the power button on the mac until it turns off, then press it again to boot.
    It may take a while, but should boot eventually.
    After its booted properly once after updating, everything should be absolutely fine. At least thats my experience so far!

It seems very strange that I had significant issues with the update on both my Macs. Evidently im not the only one either. You might want to wait a day or two? It is possible Apple might pull it if the problems are found to be widespread, and rerelease it a couple of days later.

Or, maybe me and a handful of others were unlucky!?

14. M0bile macrumors regular

I'm also stuck at the blue screen. I couldn't download the software update so I downloaded the combo. The spinning progress thing shows up, spins, then disappears with a flicker of a different shade of blue, no spinner for a few seconds, and repeat. Been doing it for about 10 minutes.

Did a hard reboot, got stuck at the grey Apple logo screen with spinning progress bar, it restarted on its own, I got to the login screen, it restarted itself, and now I'm good to go.

15. ijn1 macrumors newbie

Blue Screen after 10.5.7 update

Thanks guys, hard reset worked but ONLY after unplugging my external drive (Drobo as Time Machine bkup device). I did hard reset about 6 times and still blue screen. Once i removed the external drive, it worked immediately.

16. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Wow. Sounds like a mess.
    I was going to update my MacBook, but decided that since I'm out of town and would be stuck for 5 days without a working machine if the update failed, it would be better to wait.
    Looks like I made a good choice.

17. sputacus macrumors regular

Ran update without any problems, though after the update my MBP restarted twice before reaching the Login box.

18. alfmil, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

alfmil macrumors regular

19. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

i had no probelms as well went very smooth , smoother than any windows update lol

20. theNEOone macrumors 6502

This is the same exact thing that happened to me.

This is my first update after having switched from a PC in January. I have to say, I'm not impressed or amused....

=|

21. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I am having the same problem. I have had to boot through an extremely slow-loading and -running safe mode. I've repaired both disk permissions and the drive, in safe mode, the leo install disk, and in single-user mode (ran fsck -yf), to no avail. I still cannot access os x without going through a ****** safe mode. I've even reset the PRAM. What the hell else can I do short of a clean reinstall?

I recently had a mishap with my external hard drive, and long-story-short, I have nothing backed up whatsoever. :(

I would appreciate any help that hasn't been submitted already.

Thanks

p.s. I have a MBP 2.16 Rev C, if that makes any difference