Blue screen after changing system plist. Help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedPearbook, Jul 31, 2013.

1. RedPearbook macrumors newbie

I have a 2005 ibook g4 and I changed the systen plist in terminal, but i only changed what you see, not the acual thing. i changed it to 10.8.0 and now it won't work and in a panic, it wont boot up past the blue screen but will show the crusor and it will boot up into safe mode. HELP ME!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Exactly which line did you change? You can probably fix it in single user mode.

3. RedPearbook thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed the 1984-2009 line and the system product user version line, with terminal. any ideas?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Change it back with single user mode then fix permissions. Once done, reboot to exit single user mode.

5. RedPearbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you give a step by step please? I'm new to the ibook as i got it 5 days ago. lol

----------

and i kinda deleted the systemversion file but i saved it on a flash drive, can i use that?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You, deleted it? Start it up in single user mode, Command-S right after the chime. Then, run the following commands:
    Code:
    /bin/mv /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.brk
    Press enter, you may get an error about file not found. Ignore it. Then run this command, substituting the name of your flash drive in the %FLASHDRIVE% area. This command assumes that your backup SystemVersion.plist in at the root of your flash drive.

Code:
    /bin/cp /Volumes/%FLASHDRIVE%/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
    Press enter. Then restart it with:

Code:
    /sbin/reboot

7. RedPearbook thread starter macrumors newbie

not found on either. how can i make one to replace?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Where on your USB flash drive is the file stored and what is the exact name of that flash drive?

9. RedPearbook thread starter macrumors newbie

the one on my flashdrive has a different icon that says exec i think and it doesn't look like that plist thing attall. what can I do or can I install the OS again?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could possibly pull the one off of the reinstallation disc and correct it's versions to be what the system really is.