Blue screen after installing 10.6.8 combined update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CamCracker, Dec 5, 2011.

1. CamCracker macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I installed 10.6.8 on my macbook pro and when it restarted it went to the log in part but it was all blue. Never saw the login screen. I reinstalled snow leopard and updated again but it still did it. Is there a fix?

2. CamCracker thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bump. Really need help!

3. CamCracker thread starter macrumors newbie

I am able to boot into safe mode and my system seems fine.

4. NJMacJunky macrumors member

I am having a similar problem. I gave up on Lion, its causing my machine to run too slowly and get hung up constantly. I wiped my drive and had to re-install Snow Leopard twice. I then restored all of my applications and such from my Time Machine backup. Once I was finally able to get logged in, since it somehow changes your password when you re-install, I did the software update for Snow Leopard and installed the correct iTunes. When I rebooted the machine it hung at the blue screen. I shut it down then turned it back on and it just hangs at the grey screen. I am at a loss as to what to do now. I really dont want to do a 3rd reinstall and restore.

5. CamCracker thread starter macrumors newbie

You have exactly the same situation as me. Installed snow leopard. Used time machine to get my files on the drive in the snow leopard set up. Password is wrong so i have to load the disk and reset my password. Booted up, Installed the 10.6.8 combo, restarted and then it gives me a blue screen. Safe mode works though. How do we fix this?

6. NJMacJunky macrumors member

I wish i knew. i am going to try re-installing 10.6 from the disk and see what happens. i am just wondering if re-installing my applications from Lion are causing a problem?

7. CamCracker thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly what I'm doing. My time machine has lion files so im going to reinstall without using time machine. I'll see if that works

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Delete login items in system prefs, users and group

9. NJMacJunky macrumors member

I can't do that without being able to boot the machine right? I am just re-installing SL 10.6 not erasing the drive. I am hoping this works. I don't want to erase, re-install and also restore.

10. CamCracker thread starter macrumors newbie

I just erased and installed snow leopard, didn't restore from backup, downloaded the 10.6.8 combo update it's about to finish installing. I'll see if it has a blue screen. Again, the only change I made was not restoring from my time machine which contains lion files

11. CamCracker thread starter macrumors newbie

All is well. Boots up and logs in. It was because of the lion files from my time machine. Now I'm installing lion and will then restore from backup from the built in lion recovery partition

12. Rangdrol macrumors newbie

Rangdrol

CamCracker

I am having the same issue as you did. Im on 10.6.8 on a lat 2010 MacMini.

I started having an issue with my Time Machine backups. I tried to fix but it wasnt backing up stuff on my backup drive.

Then all icons disappeared from desktop and realized that this was due to Finder.app, so I trashed the finder.app com.plist and thought it would fix it, but it did not.

Then I found a fix and punched in a command in Terminal and that took care of it, and all my icons appeared back on my desktop. Thus, I rebooted, but have never been able to log back on in my computer...none of the Startup key combos work, I cannot even get the DVD 10.6.to install! Thus I no longer have a computer and am stuck to using my old G4 laptop!

I have no idea what happened, but months ago I realzied I could not copy or create DVDs, so I went back to the Genius store and they told me to buy a new optical drive. They didnt look at my computer, but said what I described was that my optical drive was dead. Now, I dont know why but is this why I can no longer reboot, or get my computer to start up? Can't seem to get past the blue screen.

Im hoping there is a superuser out there, a technically savvy individual who can give me a script to by pass the Finder.app, or replace it.

Im also thinking that maybe just ugrading to Snow Lion might help?

PSS What did you do to log in? From your post, you could not start up from the install DVD either?

Thanks!

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1.Shut down the computer.
    2.Unplug the computer's power cord.
    3.Wait fifteen seconds.
    4.Attach the computer's power cord.
    5.Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

I would also unplug anything except USB mouse/keyboard and monitor when powering back up. Try to boot from the install DVD.