blue screen after updating firmware MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iWolf00, Oct 31, 2011.

1. iWolf00, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

iWolf00 macrumors member

Hello

I have MBP, bought it last year, it has snow leopard. yesterday i updated it with new firmware and follow the instructions. suddenly my Mac screen turns blue after installation and reboot.
    I tried to reboot from Safe mode, but still I got the blue screen. not sure how could I solve it, could you help me please in solving this issue?

EDITED:

To clear my issue this exactly what happened

I just did the macbook pro firmware update.

Followed instructions exactly.

My mbp made the beep when i held down the power button but is now stuck on the blue screen .

waited for 10 mins. There is not a staus bar indicating progress, so I turn it off

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Could you elaborate on the part where you "held down the power button but is now stuck on the blue screen"

Did the firmware instructions specifically tell you to press power? I have been away from Mac lappys for a while, but I don't recall firmware updates ever instructing this. In fact nearly all I have seen want you to leave the computer alone flat-out until the computer has completely booted back in to OS.

FYI DO NOT perform an SMC reset without consulting Apple first if you are under warranty. It is possible to wreck the SMC and brick your logic board by resetting it during a firmware update. I'm not saying this will happen (considering you are reaching the blue screen), but I just like to throw out that caution first.

3. iWolf00 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response and the advice. I felt the update took longer time than it should be, so I pressed down the power button to force my Mac to shutdown (I decided to force my MBP to shutdown and start over, there was no instruction regarding my action). Once I started my MBP, I got apple logo, but then I couldn't log to my system because my Mac screen turns blue and system failed to launch. I waited for an hour and still my system couldn't launch. I hope this clarify the problem.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

forcing the shutdown was a really bad idea... the EFI is the equivalent of a BIOS on these computers (w/ a few differences). Would you force a PC to turn off during a BIOS update? It's entirely possible you destroyed the EFI on your MBP, meaning that we can't do anything.

I hate to say it, but you might have wrecked your MBP. If you can, take it into an Apple Store and tell them what you did. They can probably help you better than we can at this point... :/

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

You'll probably need to talk to Apple. Interrupting a firmware update is a bad thing. May need to make a visit to your nearest Apple Store.

6. iWolf00 thread starter macrumors member

I am really disappointed from myself. Time to visit Apple Store.

Many thanks for your support.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Best of luck! Hopefully they'll be able to help, and if you're on AppleCare still, they definitely will.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I leave the room when it's running updates so I'm not tempted to worry and interrupt it. It used to drive me nuts worrying and waiting when a firmware update didn't seem to go anywhere.