Blue screen and static on startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr9758, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Mr9758 macrumors regular

When starting up my MacBook Pro normally, I get a flashing blue screen followd by static. I can hear the volume clicking as I change it and change the brightness of the keyboard, but nothing else responds. I have tried:
    • resetting PRAM
    • booting from Snow Leopard disc (didn't work)
    • booting into safe mode and repairing permissions, disk
    • sending computer into Apple (hard drive was replaced)
    • reinstalling Snow Leopard from safe mode (bricked computer; had to send to Apple)

I am fairly sure this is a software issue. Any ideas about what can be done?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If the hard drive was replaced (and presumably a fresh install was done). It is likely not a software issue.

However, despite you listing what you have done, there are too many things that contradict each other in your list to help you.

Based on what you have said, some piece of hardware is defunct in your machine. I would suggest running a hardware test or taking into Apple for a more thorough test.

Although, it could be some piece of software, but again, the contradictions and scant details make this difficult.

3. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't believe it's a hardware issue because I have sent it to Apple twice (for this particular problem) and run hardware tests of my own. Additionally, both times after I've gotten it back (after restoring from a Time Machine backup) it's worked fine for a day or two and then run into a kernel panic and not worked since then, except in safe mode.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well, don't restore from Time Machine.

If you think the problem is software, why would you restore from Time Machine?

And you haven't done the most obvious, safe boot is used to narrow down the problem. If things work in safe boot, then you are likely having a problem with one of the things safe boot disables. Such as 3rd party LaunchDaemons, LaunchAgents, Kernel Extensions, etc etc.

You have a valuable piece of information. It works when you safe boot. Now use that to figure it out.

5. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have any suggestions for disabling/removing LaunchDaemons, LaunchAgents, Kernel Extensions, etc.?

6. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I can't hold your hand. Use verbose mode to narrow the problem down further.

Then find the offending item. I have guided a number of individuals on finding LaunchDaemons, etc. Just search for any of my previous responses to other users on solving startup problems.