Blue screen at startup: "Your PC / Device needs to be repaired"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macpokerstars, Mar 28, 2018.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

I bought an SSD on ebay which was pulled out of a newly-bought Windows/PC laptop.
    I formatted it to APFS as normal and ran a clean install of High Sierra from a USB key.

After the computer restart I get this Blue screen:

"Your PC / Device needs to be repaired, the application or OS couldn't be leaded because a required file is missing or contains errors

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    Error code 0xc0000225"

How come I still get that Windows native message?

2. eric89074 macrumors regular

When you formatted it did you click the windows partition and format or did you click the name of the hard drive itself and format? If you only formatted the partition that had windows there’s probably some stuff left from the windows install causing that.

3. macpokerstars, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

macpokerstars thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I tried to format the drive itself but here is what I see:
    https://i.imgur.com/rXMoOQ2.png

When I try to format the disk itself, Disk Utility tells me "Erase failed". Also, it says "Writable: No"
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2018 ---
    EDIT: I was able to solve the Erase failed problem by choosing "Master boot record" format instead of GUID. Then I was able to erase successfully to GUID.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You have not successfully cleared all the Windows "cruft" from that SSD.
    There's still some residual boot files on the Windows boot partition - which also apparently still exists.
    The error message that you get is one that you would get when trying to boot to Windows --- so the Windows boot blocks are still there (and attempts to boot to a non-existant Windows system)
    You may need to remove all partitions by connecting the drive to a Windows PC.