Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

settlers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I have an iMac G5 that is clearly booting up--you can hear the skype connection sound in the background--but I'm stuck w/ a blue screen. Tried P-RAM and other keyboard methods, to no avail. Took off back cover, seems as though only 1 fan is working.

Was able to connect iMac to my laptop via target mode, so it's truly a screen connection problem. Any thoughts?

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Depending on the iMac model, you may be able to replace the video card (some models it was soldered on the board, some on a custom Mini-PCIe slot).

Alternately you could have a damaged or partially disconnected video cable in the system, or the panel hardware could be broken.

Contact Apple about buying a replacement video card for it and they can tell you if the video can be replaced.

settlers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks

Great info. I called Apple and they said to test by connecting to external monitor. If that works, it's the video card. Capacitors all look good, so doubtful it's them. If external monitor doesn't work, it's time for a new computer, as Apple no longer makes that logic board and it would be too $$ anyway.

Yes, I'd love a new intel-snow leopard computer, but I also hate to throw something away if it can be fixed! Hooray for forums like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.