blue screen during windows 7 pro install on 1.1 mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lesolar, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Lesolar macrumors newbie

I seem to almost complete the upgrade and then it does the final reboot to comlete installation and then I get the blue screen which appears due to a display device issue.. I have 1.1 MP with a 7300gt video card in it.. anyone have any ideas?

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I would try a custom install over the upgrade option. It seems to result in less errors than when one opts for the upgrade. Just note than a custom install will entail you losing any data you have on your Windows partition.

3. Lesolar thread starter macrumors newbie

I was doing a custom upgrade as that is the only way to get from xp to 7... turns out the fix was quite simple...

when you reboot after the failed start up ..reboot with the install dvd.. work your way to where you can get the commmand prompt selection.. after you are in the command prompt go to ..

c:\windows\system32\drivers

then... del nv*.sys

This deletes all the NVIDA drives for the geforce 7300 video card and lets windows complete the install. After you are into win 7 then you can reinstall the latest video drivers. hopes this helps anyone else that is doing a win 7 install on a 1.1 mac pro.

4. donz macrumors newbie

My setup is the same -- Mac Pro 1.1, 7300, and this was potentially a great help, but I know nothing about commands. When I typed the first command line (the "c" had to be in parentheses, I learned), I hit enter and got the "was unexpected at this time" response.

Is there any other character I should type to get that first line to work? Same re the second line. Thanks!

P.S. I assume that the "Command Prompt" you describe is in the "Repair Disk" area. Yes?