Blue Screen / Failure To Start

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevenseagroves, Apr 23, 2010.

1. stevenseagroves macrumors newbie

Every time I restart my macbook it will take me to a blue screen and the mouse pointer will be in the top left hand corner of the screen.

It will not start in safe mode.

I've done the "fsck -f"

I don't have a the snow leopard disk any longer, but I can of course obtain another if it is the only way to fix this problem. I'm at college, the disk is at home 8 hours away..and I want on my computer now :(

Sorry for my lack of intelligence concerning this issue as well as the OSX as a whole, this is my first Mac and I love it!

-Steven

2. stevenseagroves thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it all besides the last 3 that involved using the disk..but my problem wasn't even listed as on of the common errors at the top, thats what worries me. :-s

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Snow Leopard disk is 29$, can't hurt much. Or if any of your friends or someone you know has the RETAIL version of 10.6, ask if you could borrow it for couple of hours

That's very likely a corrupted system file or something, it can be fixed with reinstall of OS X

4. stevenseagroves thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just got off the phone with Apple Care and they said the same after trying some different things.

What if I downloaded 10.6 onto my External Hard drive, good or bad chance I could boot from that?

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Not sure you can do that. The retail DVD of SL allows you to boot from the DVD and replace your OS. $29.00 (or borrowed free from a friend), is a better option. I bet your college store has the retail SL DVDs also.

I might be wrong, so maybe someone else might or could give you better advise.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have a backup in the external? If you do, just reinstall it into the internal HD

The 29$ "upgrade" version is proven to work with all Intel Macs, no matter do they run Tiger or Leopard